Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

First post, new member. I just purchased (last week) a mint condition Artist Custom in 59 burst, and now I'm losing my mind (and the ability to sleep) waiting for it to be delivered! It's my first Hamer, and I've wanted one like this since they came out when I was in high school... who's got a valium and/or glass of single malt for me?

Pictures as soon as I unbox it!

Welcome aboard. Procuring an Artist Custom is a great way to make an entrance. If you ever find the urge to part with it, many of us cretins would be happy to take it off your hands for the princely sum of $350.

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole!! When you see how great the USA Hamers are built, play and sound and what a ridiculous bargain they are you’ll soon be seeking another!!

Ok, folks! My 2001 Artist Custom has arrived! First thoughts: I had no idea that this thing would have so much more dynamic range than my 92 Custom Shop Edition LP Special! I knew it was going to be different (semi hollow vs solid; maple cap vs mahogany slab; hums instead of P90s, etc), but I can go from mild to wild without the volume knob, just with picking dynamics, much more dramatically! It's been 20 years since I played an Artist, and almost 25 since I played an Artist Custom, but this thing exceeds my expectations and memories of those guitars by far!

Now I just need to figure out how to compress photos so I can post them here...

And thanks for the warm welcome, y'all! Glad to be here!

...and so it begins. Congrats and welcome. Valiums...single malts....I’m thinking you’re gonna fit right in.....

51 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

Ok, folks! My 2001 Artist Custom has arrived! First thoughts: I had no idea that this thing would have so much more dynamic range than my 92 Custom Shop Edition LP Special! I knew it was going to be different (semi hollow vs solid; maple cap vs mahogany slab; hums instead of P90s, etc), but I can go from mild to wild without the volume knob, just with picking dynamics, much more dramatically! It's been 20 years since I played an Artist, and almost 25 since I played an Artist Custom, but this thing exceeds my expectations and memories of those guitars by far!

Now I just need to figure out how to compress photos so I can post them here...

And thanks for the warm welcome, y'all! Glad to be here!

Great to hear.  Post some photos!

Welcome to the boards!

Some say, “Hide your wallet”. I’d say, open your wallet and enjoy the Hamer world.

Here she is!  2001 GATA59, completely mint except for some oddly tarnished pickup height adjustment screws. No fading, scratches or tarnish on any other metal parts, but all four pickup screws are on the green side. This thing could almost pass for NOS (not for long, as I bought it to play, not treat like Mr. Frye's 250 GT California). All I can say is, "Wow!"

IMG_20190416_080302_351.jpg

IMG_20190416_080302_348.jpg

IMG_20190416_080302_350.jpg

IMG_20190416_080302_352.jpg

Mine has Seth Lovers in it. They’re the only SD pickups I’ve left in my Hamers. In the Artist and Newport the Seth’s sound great to my ears!!

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

Mine has Seth Lovers in it. They’re the only SD pickups I’ve left in my Hamers. In the Artist and Newport the Seth’s sound great to my ears!!

Mine does, too... it's the first time I've played them in anything other than an LP, and I'm gonna leave em in for a while, if not permanently! I've had a set of Holmes waiting for home for more than a decade, but I'm gonna leave this stock for now. I thought I was going to swap the electronics, put a TonePros/Callaham bridge and tailpiece on, and possibly install a TusqXL (maybe in black) nut almost immediately, but now that I've got it, I think I'll break her in for bit before making any "upgrades."

This thread, at it's core, is about the anticipation of owning your first Hamer.  You most certainly picked a fine example.  Mine was a 1978 Black Sunburst.  Purchased at Music City in Orlando.  I still remember the rush.

Archived