Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Guy makes guitar out of 1200 pencils

6 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Imagine to have the free time to be so bored to undertake such a project.  

I was watching this again as I posted the OP.  The video was nowhere finished when you replied which means you didn't even watch the video so you have no idea what you are talking about.

2 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

The video was nowhere finished when you replied which means you didn't even watch the video so you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm sure he has seen it before when it was posted here and on The Rear Page months ago.
You know, in his free time which he doesn't have while he's on the HFC.

15 minutes ago, svl said:

This one is pretty nifty-

I dig this guy's work as a piece of sculpture, but having 5-10 pounds of epoxy in your build isn't going to help the resonant and acoustic properties of a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT! Bob Benedetto proved that the builder and method is more important than the QUALITY of materials by building an amazing sounding archtop out of knotty pine pallet wood instead of the usual super-expensive piece of quartersawn old-growth spruce from some exotic mountainside and the complementary super-expensive highly figured maple back, sides and neck. What he didn't do, was demonstrate that you can build a great sounding instrument substituting a block of hardened epoxy (and pencil lead) as the actual MATERIALS. As a luthier, I'm all for experimenting and progress, but dont expect that 10+ lb dead weight to ring like your most prized Squire Strat. You can put guitar pickups on just about anything, attach a neck and have a functional electric, but no one's building 18" jazz boxes or vintage Martin-slaying acoustics out of poured epoxy for a reason. This is sculpture, not luthierie. But it is pretty cool!

1 hour ago, svl said:

This one is pretty nifty-

That one is really cool. Thanks for posting. The dude has picked up more tools too. More tools is always good. 

36 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

I dig this guy's work as a piece of sculpture, but having 5-10 pounds of epoxy in your build isn't going to help the resonant and acoustic properties of a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT! Bob Benedetto proved that the builder and method is more important than the QUALITY of materials by building an amazing sounding archtop out of knotty pine pallet wood instead of the usual super-expensive piece of quartersawn old-growth spruce from some exotic mountainside and the complementary super-expensive highly figured maple back, sides and neck. What he didn't do, was demonstrate that you can build a great sounding instrument substituting a block of hardened epoxy (and pencil lead) as the actual MATERIALS. As a luthier, I'm all for experimenting and progress, but dont expect that 10+ lb dead weight to ring like your most prized Squire Strat. You can put guitar pickups on just about anything, attach a neck and have a functional electric, but no one's building 18" jazz boxes or vintage Martin-slaying acoustics out of poured epoxy for a reason. This is sculpture, not luthierie. But it is pretty cool!

I was thinking the same Ting, but, maybe that's why he calls it Burl's Art and not Burl's Guitars. They are functional "novelty" guitars. The guy's got a great fence outback too. 

Archived