Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random Megadeth Thing

Loved it! It sounds like it’s Dave, though it does have a certain Marty-inspired flavour to it. But it’s definitively Dave.

BTW, I’ve always found very interesting the contrast between their soloing styles.

Marty has this melodic, sinuous phrasing, with exotic elements, beautiful vibrato and semitone bends, plus a quite singing quality to his tone; while Dave’s all about aggression and stridency, plus using more conventional licks, all rooted on classic rock and blues. Together they could cover a lot of ground.

Actually,  I think one of the best examples of contrasting solos in one song is the following:

Jump to 3:21 to listen to them. Dave starts with his very aggressive bends and double-stops. His tone is almost harsh; his phrasing is primitive and visceral. Then Marty takes on, using unconventional melodies and fancy descending arpeggios, creating a lot of melodic mouvement. To me, those two solos together are one of the best pages in metal lead guitar ever written. Simply masterful! 🙏🙇

Thanks for posting that. Huge Megadeth fan over here. Have seen them in concert more than any other band. Did the VIP meet & greets a couple of times. Even got scolded by Dave for shaking his hand a bit too firmly before the show back in 2012...  oops  

side note: they’re playing an outdoor venue in Aurora in August. If anyone in the Chicago area feels like going to the show and wants to meet for a drink, the venue is right across the street from Two Brothers Roundhouse location, the old Walter Payton Roundhouse and not the actual brewery. Coincidentally, 12 minutes from where I live. I’ll be there. Hit me up. 

Archived