Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ibanez AS153

While burning a little time before I had to head to the airport for my flight home, I came across this used Ibanez AS153 in a Sam Ash store for a very nice price. I have an AS180 that I have owned since the late nineties and it is a fantastically built guitar so I knew that the Art Star series of guitars are the cream of the crop. After the obligatory swap of the saddles to Graphtech saddles, a neck adjustment, intonation setting and addition of Straplock buttons, this guitar plays wonderfully. Compared to my AS180, it is a little brighter sounding due to the Maple but it has it's own unique sound. Overall, I am quite pleased with this score. Enjoy!

IMG_1634 Resized.JPG

IMG_1626 Resized.JPG

IMG_1627 Resized.JPG

IMG_1628 Resized.JPG

IMG_1629 Resized.JPG

IMG_1630 Resized.JPG

IMG_1631 Resized.JPG

IMG_1633 Resized.JPG

That's a stunner, right there. Beautiful job on the bursting.

I've always loved Ibby semi-hollows. I'd like to find one of the smaller, dot-necks (80's) or a burl-topped Artist. The only 335-types I can get along with.

Nice score. That is a superbly executed burst finish. The AS73 I bought via CL last month is an incredible set neck semi hollow for the money. Granted, the previous owner installed a pair of '57 Classic Plus pickups, but it both sounds killer AND plays effortlessly. 

Nice to get some opinions on Artstars: I used to have an Artist I wish I'd kept. So many companies make pretty guitars which play easily and it's hard to judge tone until you've taken it home.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:55 PM, tubesrus said:

Nice to get some opinions on Artstars: I used to have an Artist I wish I'd kept. So many companies make pretty guitars which play easily and it's hard to judge tone until you've taken it home.

For some reason, they have always been an under-rated guitar but some of my favorite players use the exclusively. John Scofield, Melvin Taylor and Eric Krasno. 

Archived