Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Newport with separate vol controls for each pickup (as seen at BCR)

soli'd

Question

Posted this in a Newport questions thread but didn't get any info, hoping the experts in this forum may have an idea what I'm looking at.  If I ever get another Newport, I'd like to look for one with separate volume controls for each pickup.

Can anyone say what is different model-wise with this Newport Pro at BCR?

My Newport Pro is similar but has a single volume knob and the selector switch closer to the tail. If there's anything I could change on mine it would be to have separate volume controls for each pickup, and the switch to be located where this one is. 

Also, I thought the Phat Cats were spec'd on the regular Newport, but the Pro has Seth L humbuckers. This one has factory Phat Cats. Is this a custom model? 

Hamer Newport Pro 2005 Natural  Very Clean 100% Flawless Operation Hamer USA Case Free Shippi https://reverb.com/item/21400231-hamer-newport-pro-2005-natural-very-clean-100-flawless-operation-hamer-usa-case-free-shippi?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

20 answers to this question

Also I think the Newport in the ad is not a 2005 but a 2000 judging by the serial number that starts with a zero and then is in the early 50.000's

It is a nice looking guitar though.

Gabe 😀

12 hours ago, Gabe said:

Also I think the Newport in the ad is not a 2005 but a 2000 judging by the serial number that starts with a zero and then is in the early 50.000's

It is a nice looking guitar though.

Gabe 😀

Yep, definitely a 2000. Maybe it had been refurbished in 2005. B)

I traded msgs with BCR regarding the guitar, they said it was a single-owner custom order that was originally spec'd with that control scheme, and ordered thru BCR in 2005. 🤔

I didn't inquire as to the serial number. 

15 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

I remember this one.  Can't solve the S/N mystery but it was special ordered for Stevie Damn Clay of Greg's band.

Stevie GD Clay. The muthafukkin' man!

Grumpy 090404 112.jpg

Grumpy 090404 116.jpg

IMO, custom-ordering Phat Cats in lieu of Seths was a good move.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

IMO, custom-ordering Phat Cats in lieu of Seths was a good move.

Looks like it had Seths originally.  Either that or it's a different guitar.

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Looks like it had Seths originally.  Either that or it's a different guitar.

Either way,  Phat Cats mounted in a hand-carved spruce archtop are a synergistic combination (IMO).

We only put enough frets on to get a straight edge on the board.....it was never meant to be playable.  It was a mock up of the body to test my CNC code.  We added a neck and sent it to TKL to spec the case.  Those are Jol’s notes written on the body.

16 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

This is the first one.  Same layout as a typical Hamer but angled.  The Bigsby got in the way of the switch.  Jol had me delete the switch and place it in the third potentiometer position.

F74CED77-96ED-410A-AB40-846C53B2A5F2.jpeg

3 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

We only put enough frets on to get a straight edge on the board.....it was never meant to be playable.  It was a mock up of the body to test my CNC code.  We added a neck and sent it to TKL to spec the case.  Those are Jol’s notes written on the body.

Where else on these here interwebs can anyone see such cool guitar stuff and get such great information?!!

6 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Where else on these here interwebs can anyone see such cool guitar stuff and get such great information?!!

Nowhere I can think of!  :D

Not related, but similar to Bob's Newport prototype, this is the case plug/proto for the Californian Doubleneck model.  Note the similar fret placement (on twin maple boards)...

Double%205_zpsuckucli3.jpg

Archived