Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Lower wattage amp suggestions?

Travis

I neglected to mention the Mesa TA15 goes from 5-15-25 switchable watts in all the modes.  Used 500-700 bucks. 

If I was actively gigging again I’d have to have a Marshall Studio.

Here’s a pretty good demo of the Blackstar 5-watter. I have one of the originals, was never impressed with the clean channel... sounds like they have fixed it.

1 hour ago, Dave Scepter said:

Thanks for sharing the graph however, To me it's more of the Headroom & not so much the decibels

That’s exactly what it is.

5 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Frenzel makes a great line of low-watt amps, hand-built at very reasonable money.

https://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/

Can you tell me more about Frenzel?   I need a new Receiver/Sterio.   The B&K I had preamp took a crap and all high end is gone.  I still have their power amp, just sitting.  I had my system split with the B&K going to 2 tower speakers and a velodine powered subwoofer and the other side going into a great old Yamaha receiver with Polk speakers and subwoofer.  The frenzel looks simple and efficient.   The B&K was complicated and took a crap.  I was looking at Frenzel’s top sterio system with all upgrades, but with 30 watts, which sounds low, but it’s tube driven.  Any help would be appreciated.  

I’ve really been looking at the Marshall studio jcm 800, Friedman runt 20 & pink taco, and the peavey classic 20 and 30 heads (for which I would get my gain from a pedal).

Tons of great suggestions in this thread. Thanks so much for all the options to consider. 

15 minutes ago, cynic said:

The Marshall Origin series seemed to have been replaced by the Studio series. They did a great job at capturing the plexi thing and can be had for not a lot of money. 

Buddy of mine got one of the origin 50w heads. I’m not super familiar with them so when he got it he just told me it was a 50w head he put in his house. I was like, “dude, that’s too loud for home if your wife and kids are there...” 

i didn’t realize they were switchable to a lower wattage. One of these days I should go over to his house with one of my guitars and try it out...

The Origin Series sounds pretty damn good, but like mentioned above it does a great Plexi. I would say Cleanish/Dirty, to Blues to Classic Rock. I spent some time with the 50 Combo, its not to loud for home use. 

Second the Trademark 60. If it's not tubey enough for you then run it through a VHT Valveulator unity gain buffer. Mix and match 12ax7s in the VHT to taste. The tube ends up first in the signal chain and works its magic throughout.

spacer.png -->spacer.png

I like my Budda SD 18 a lot.  My main amp is a Friedman BE-50, but this one works great for smaller gigs and delivers about the same amount of balls at lower volumes.  Friedman helped design the preamp circuit, so I guess it makes sense. 

On 5/5/2019 at 7:22 AM, bubs_42 said:

The Origin Series sounds pretty damn good, but like mentioned above it does a great Plexi. I would say Cleanish/Dirty, to Blues to Classic Rock. I spent some time with the 50 Combo, its not to loud for home use. 

I have the 20 W head. It convincingly can be set to 5 Watts and 1 watt (or maybe .5 - can't remember off hand)It honestly to me sounds like 95+% like an early 70s 1987x. Great Amp. The Studio series sounds interesting also

Another suggestion: Laney CUB12R

I had the chance to play it this weekend and it is really nice!

15W All valve combo, single channel, 12" speaker and 1W input option. It also has a very good reverb.

I think it is really easy to be quite nostalgic about certain sounds that our heros got back in the day. I bought a Marshall DSL 15 when I played it it was great clean or dirty and a played it "neat" for a couple of weeks and was happy as a pig in shit, but then I plugged in my Boss guitar board and then the world lit up. What I'm saying it that good quality pedals.pedal board are so good that your amp can be make of lolly sticks and it will still sound good. Remember what Number 5 used to say, "Input, more input". 

* Short Circuit the movie.

Archived