Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Reassembled the Charvel (Gravelin review)

Travis

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

I think he means that it should be the "toothpaste" logo-

image.png

Correct, Jim, although I was also referring to the second-generation Charvel logo in which the headstock embedded in the logo was, itself, pointed and underscored by the text "By Jackson/Charvel." Very few of the pointed headstocks received the original guitar-shaped logo sporting the 3+3 configuration like the one I put on mine.

"spacer.png

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

I think he means that it should be the "toothpaste" logo-

image.png

Oh okay the guitar shaped logo WITH the 3-3 tuner configuration?.. I'm still not understanding because there was a lot of pointy neck Charvel guitars with that logo... Are you stating just Japanese or?

14 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Oh okay the guitar shaped logo WITH the 3-3 tuner configuration?.. I'm still not understanding because there was a lot of pointy neck Charvel guitars with that logo... Are you stating just Japanese or?

Yes. the MIJ Charvels during that era. Sorry, I should have made that clear.  I know that the USA models with the pointy headstocks had the original 3+3 logo, but numbers-wise, they aren't plentiful compared to their MIJ brethren. 

11 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Not super knowledgeable but this is what I dug up- yes, Jap imports: 1989 - 1991 were the main years for the toothpaste logo, when it appeared on pointy headstocks. The Surfcaster also had the toothpaste logo until they stopped making it (in '93 or '94?), and there were some strats & teles with odd headstocks & a downsized version of it around that time.

5 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

I'm confused about this statement... what's wrong with it?

Charvel used 3 main logo designs over the years. 

The original San Dimas charvels of the 80’s with the strat headstocks and some pointies used the logo in that picture, with 3-on-a-side tuners at the end of the guitar shaped “Charvel”

The 80’s Japanese made “model series” which were pointy headstock shapes like Jackson’s switched to a logo with 6-on-a-side tuners that resembled the actual headstock. 

The early 90’s “toothpaste” logo switched to using the name “Charvel” in the same script as Jackson on the headstock like on my 650xl in the original post. 

46 minutes ago, Travis said:

Charvel used 3 main logo designs over the years. 

The original San Dimas charvels of the 80’s with the strat headstocks and ALL pointies used the logo in that picture, with 3-on-a-side tuners at the end of the guitar shaped “Charvel”

Agreed with corrections 😉

6 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Agreed with corrections 😉

I see what you did there. 

What I meant was that some of them were pointy headstock compared to the majority that were strathead. 

All USA Charvels had the 3+3 logo regardless of being strathead or pointy. 

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

I see what you did there. 

What I meant was that some of them were pointy headstock compared to the majority that were strathead. 

All USA Charvels had the 3+3 logo regardless of being strathead or pointy. 

Agreed but there were waaaaaay more pointy headstocks then Stratheads in the 80s "lawsuits"... it's only since the resurrection of the reissues making the Stratheads extremely popular again "Fender"

17 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Agreed but there were waaaaaay more pointy headstocks then Stratheads in the 80s "lawsuits"... it's only since the resurrection of the reissues making the Stratheads extremely popular again "Fender"

Really...?  I thought the strathead’s outnumbered the pointy headstocks in the 80’s because the charvels were more of the hot rodded strat while the Jacksons were designated the “super strat” with the soloist and dinky bodies...

hey, I guess you learn something new everyday...

The real Strathead Charvels died out in the late 70s early 80's "replacement/warranty parts then custom guitars"... That's why the USA "San Dimas labeled neck plated" Stratheads are so coveted VH era & "relatively very few in the early 80s"... remember Jackson bought out Charvel in the late 70s then the birth of the pointy headstock became outrageously popular due to the R. Rhoads circa 80ish".. Charvel "built by Jackson" is really only existing in name only & he then took the Charvel name over to Japan in the mid-80s...

17 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

The real Strathead Charvels died out in the late 70s early 80's "replacement/warranty parts then custom guitars"... That's why the USA "San Dimas labeled neck plated" Stratheads are so coveted VH era & "relatively very few in the early 80s"... remember Jackson bought out Charvel in the late 70s then the birth of the pointy headstock became outrageously popular due to the R. Rhoads circa 80ish".. Charvel "built by Jackson" is really only existing in name only & he then took the Charvel name over to Japan in the mid-80s...

Yep, pre-pro is how some folks define the "real" Strathead Charvels, although that has more to do with manufacturing scale than headstock style. Early 1983 seems to be the conversion point on headstocks, even though there are a few examples of USA Stratheads built all the way through late 1985, which is just ahead of Grover's decision to move Charvel production overseas.  I think VERY late 1985, early 1986 started the new era in which bolt-on Ontario-built guitars sported Jackson logos, and guys like Adrian Smith and Phil Collen bought their first custom orders.

FWIW, I don't recall ever seeing any pointy headstock Charvels with an '82-or-earlier build date, although you never know. Charvel/Jackson was every bit the do-anything builder that Hamer was in its salad days. 

Archived