Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD update, '79 Sunburst B&C with office photos

Despite being in "sell" mode lately, I came across something on The Gear Page I couldn't resist. A 1979 Sunburst, natural top, bound and crowned, and all unmolested from case to bullseye tuners, apart from a replaced nut. Looks clean in the photos, and the price was right.

FedEx will be here at 1pm or so. Pics to come!

Who wants dibs? :D when I inevitably stick it under the bed because all I actually play is the Tom Anderson.

If it’s got a fat neck I’ll call dibs. Only reason why I sold off my ‘78 B&C Sunburst years ago is because the neck was a little flatter/thinner than I wished it was. 

I’ve heard the 77’s had pretty thick necks but I’m sure your ‘79 will be pretty similar to what I had. It’ll play and sound killer, tho. Congrats!

Clean enough to eat off... great shape apart from a ding in the headstock. Neck isn't small. Case is different from later Hamers: different shape and handle. And the cutaway on the bass side is in a straight line to the one on the treble side (though the horn is still longer). Interesting to see how the guitars evolved, as this is the oldest Hamer I've ever touched.

Can't wait to plug it in!

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8510.jpeg

IMG_8511.jpeg

IMG_8512.jpeg

IMG_8513.jpeg

40 minutes ago, polara said:

Neck isn't small.

Yup, dibs....

Looks fantastic.  Let us know how it sounds.  I mean, we all know it'll be amazing.  But still, let us know...

Congrats! That guitar IS beautiful and....................... clean,it really shows off well. Sure its going to be a BEAST! Enjoy that one.!:)

31 minutes ago, pirateflynn said:

Beauty!

That one use to belong to Michael_B. 

Dang! I didn't recognize it because it no longer has a brass nut, but one that looks like white tusq.

Otherwise yup, still the same. They all find their way back home to the HFC, eh? Whoever put the nut in did a weird setup job: truss rod was overtightened so it had backbow and the saddles were kind of high. I relieved it and dropped the saddles so it now has my preferred medium action. But the nut needs a LOT of work: it might as well be made of glue it's so sticky. The guitar can't be tuned... I reckon ten minutes with some emery paper and a little lube we'll be okay.

Michael_B has dibs if it ever leaves my sweaty paws...

Polara. THIS IS EXTREMELY COOL. I have number 9 0950, two numbers from yours. And it looks just the same!! It is also in a very fine condition. I bought it on ebay around 2003 from someone in the San Fransisco vincinity.

79SunburstCustNat.jpg

On 5/2/2019 at 6:50 PM, polara said:

Whoever put the nut in did a weird setup job: truss rod was overtightened so it had backbow and the saddles were kind of high. I relieved it and dropped the saddles so it now has my preferred medium action. But the nut needs a LOT of work: it might as well be made of glue it's so sticky. The guitar can't be tuned... I reckon ten minutes with some emery paper and a little lube we'll be okay.

Michael_B has dibs if it ever leaves my sweaty paws...

Were you able to tune/intonate it?

It got better: between the truss rod being over-tight, and the strings not being properly stretched, and the nut not really being smooth I could bend it and it would say almost a half-step sharp on the D and G. It's still not perfect, but I think lube and new strings, maybe a little more time loosening up the nut, it'l be good.

Just doesn't make the kind of sounds I like. Bummer.

28 minutes ago, polara said:

Just doesn't make the kind of sounds I like. Bummer.

Have you never played a Hamer Special/Sunburst from the '70s or '80s?

They pretty much all sound the same.  

20 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Have you never played a Hamer Special/Sunburst from the '70s or '80s?

They pretty much all sound the same.  

Nope. I heard The Legend and as they don't exactly line the walls of the local shops, had to go on faith.

Had it for five days. Lessons learned:

1. Don't try to enjoy a guitar, 'specially one you've been pacing up and down, waiting for FedEx to deliver, when you have a fever and are blowing Gorilla Glue out every orifice. Yes, that one, too. The guitar will disappoint you, because you'll still feel like crap after playing it and every little issue will leave you exhausted.
  2. Assume that people selling guitars have not set it up well at all, let alone to your liking. This poor Sunburst had:
    • A drastically overtightened truss rod, so the saddles were jacked up accordingly
    • A new nut that was, to be charitable, not quite dialed in... 
    • Pickups too close to the strings
  3. Some guitars need a different amp than you have been using, or at least different settings. The beauty of the Fractal Audio stuff is that you have access to a lot of different amps and cabs. Made a new bank for the Sunburst, with the same effects only a Morgan AC20 running into a Alnico Blue 112 cab model, tweaked the Big Muff model, and bang... it sounds great
  4. And refer back to 1) above

It's pretty badass. Really easy to play and has a lot of character. Roll the volume off the bridge pickup a little to tame it, then you can roll it back up when you have both pickups on, to get that weird out-of-phase sound if you want. Working on a gig for the 31st now, and I think the Sunburst will be the one I play.

Archived