Hamer Fan Club Message Center

A couple of music gear GAS questions

1. Do any of you own more than one of the exact same thing (guitars/ amps/etc)?

2. Have any of you bought something you really didn't need, but the price was too good to pass up?

The reason I'm asking--I got my Orange Custom Shop 50 amplifier for a good price, and i'm buying another one for an even better price, though I don't really need it. Am I nuts?

I am glad I am not the only one, though I am doing better than I once was. The majority of my duplicates are since gone after the purge of the past couple years.

Why else would I have a couple surplus Mesa Blue Angels? Yes, the "extras" were at good prices. Great amps, esp with the "right" pedal upfront. (Heavy little buggers and I do NOT want to ship!)

I still need to lighten up on a Huber Orca and also a Dolphin.  And, most likely, a couple other nice things if/when I stop to think it through more completely.

Life ends up getting too short to buy something with the idea of "flipping it", but I have often found it hard to resist a "bargain". I mean, who knows, the second one MIGHT be better than the existing one!

If another original 6G2 or another Kendrick Reverb became available for twice what I paid for each of mine, I'd snap em up in an instant. If I could steal another Artist Custom for half what I paid, I would without a second thought. I've got almost a dozen wahs and half a dozen germanium fuzzes, though those were primarily collected as fixer-uppers so I could learn and, eventually, refine my own designs (I make both to order), so I can't really chalk them up to GAS, though my desire to build my own and chase a tone in my head because I couldn't buy what I wanted is definitely an extreme manifestation of GAS!

"Am I nuts?" I consider that a rhetorical question for most of us on a forum like this! But if you love the amp that much and the deal is too good to pass up, there's no harm in having a backup, or maybe one for home and one for the office, right???

1. I have two FGN LP Customs and a1995 LP Classic. The white FGN has WB Greeny pickups, otherwise it is identical to the black one. The black FGN is disassembled and ready to go under the knife to make it into a Frampton LP, which is turning into a fun project. 

So, yeah. I guess there is some redundancy there.

2. Maybe pedal or two, here and there, but everything's been purged. I'm back to the basics, stomp-wise.

1: Yeah, I have duplicates of most of my guitars. Not always same brand and exact specs, but close enough to make them work the same. 

2: All the time. Bought a G&L Tribute Rampage a couple of days ago. Not because I need it, but because it was dirt cheap. (Also, big AIC fan ;) )  

1. Not currently but I have in the past. At one time I had 3 Charvel 750xl’s, all three were tune o matic with strings thru the body. 2 of them had sequential serial numbers. They were only made for one year and they were killer guitars but they all felt different from each other even tho on paper they were identical save for the finish. 

2. All the damn time...

1. I have/use two handwired VHT Standard 18 watt heads (they're essentially 18 watt Marshall TMB-circuit clones) that I bought cheap when they were being discontinued a few years back.  For home use (I don't play out or schlep gear anymore), they're pretty much all I need or want or use.  Plus, if they blow up for any reason (they haven't yet), equivalent parts are easy to get, and any competent amp repair tech can fix them...but having two is always good insurance, especially since they're not as common or as cheap as they used to be.

2.  Who hasn't/doesn't?

1. Yes. I bought a 2nd Hamer Steve Stevens in the same color. The difference is that one has a rosewood board and 24 frets and recessed Schaller FR, the other has an ebony board and blocks, 22 frets, non-recessed OFR. I have several Strats. I bought a Marshall 6101 combo after I bought a 6100 and 1960 cab, just thought I could be even more compact.

2. I bought a cheap Kramer Focus 3000 (now have two of them, but rarely play them), bought a Fender Pawnshop 72 just because I thought it looked cool. The Chap Deluxe I have I got cheap (looks cool, wanted it just as a backup for my Californian), the Marshall 6101 mentioned above, the Steve Stevens mentioned above. I have a 1978 Gibson RD Artist Bass, because I always wanted one. That was actually the first bass I wanted to buy in 1988. Finally bought one in 2009, knowing that I like my Fender Am Dlx J and Hamer Chap better. I want lighter amps, so this is kind of wrong for me to own (the RD is heavy!!). Also my Gibson Q-80 Bass I bought because it was cheap. An old Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo too.

1. Not really much overlap there. I kinda like having one Gretschy thing, one humbuckers-on-mahogany thing, one Strat thing, one Tele thing, etc.
  2. But yes, and that's where I violate number one. Like, I have a GMP Roxie project now, that I have no use for but it was a solid and an unusual guitar. And the Bowie Supro, I thought "Well, they're making only 400 and it's kinda cool and has a Bigsby and i can probably sell it" and I still dunno why I bought it. It seemed like a good price on a limited-edition guitar.

Then I remind myself I don't collect cars or boats or pay for cable, no debt, everything's paid for. And still hate buying stuff I don't need! :D

Guilty as charged on both counts. I have multiple Strats and Teles but most have different pickups or configurations but I do have 2 Strats that are, essentially identical and intentionally so. That way, if I break a string in the middle of a set, I can switch guitars and still sound the same. Amp wise, I have 3 amps that also have near duplicates. I definitely don't need them but they were good deals at the time. Bottom line is that once you have GAS, logic goes out the window. If you can afford to support the addiction, there is no harm.

22 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

1. Do any of you own more than one of the exact same thing (guitars/ amps/etc)?

2. Have any of you bought something you really didn't need, but the price was too good to pass up?

The reason I'm asking--I got my Orange Custom Shop 50 amplifier for a good price, and i'm buying another one for an even better price, though I don't really need it. Am I nuts?

I'll paraphrase what I put in another thread:  When did need become a factor in buying gear? 

I have some that are very similar, but not EXACTLY the same:

I have two Hamer Studios. Same pickups. '93 in '59 Burst , and '95 in Indigo, Bound and Crowned

I have two Hamer P90 specials, a 93 Candy Apple Red with a thin neck, and a 96 Cherry with a chunky neck. Only other difference is that one has Duncans, and one has Fralins

I have two Hamer Diablos (which I should sell), both from 1993, one Cherry and One Amber. Only difference is the pickups

I have two G&L Legacies, with the only real difference being color and the pickups.

I have two SG standards, only different color and pickups

I have two Stingray 5 basses, one with the HS config Ceramic pickups, and one with the single H Alnico

I don't really have any duplication on the amplifier side.

Yes I have GAS

17 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

I have 25 Hamer Steve Stevens (21 SS I, 4 SS II) and four DuoTone Customs.  

...so how many Studio Customs does "Studio Custom" have? LOL!

2 hours ago, burningyen said:

When something like this pops up for $900, need doesn't enter into the equation.

newport90mojoaxe.jpg

I remember that one.  I wavered just a bit too long...then you got it. Good move. 

45 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

...so how many Studio Customs does "Studio Custom" have? LOL!

Now, one.  I used to have many, but my collection has migrated from a great Hamer collection to a Steve Stevens inspired one. 

Now that I think about it, there was a time when I had five Virtuosos at the same moment.  

1. Heck yes.  I'm an IT guy. Redundency is a good thing to me. I have a strat decked out to mostly match my Daytona which is my #1 gigging guitar. I also have a Mesa 5:50 Express + head that I use as backup for my combo same brand and model. I keep one at each of my two bands rehearsal spaces.

2. I can pass on goid deals. I prefer to spend my gear budget on things that have a purpose.

I've got six PRS Custom 24's, but they are of various vintage and colors/specs, including an '86, an '87 and a '87 Signature model, a '91, a 20th anniversary, and a special-made one with a Floyd Rose and sweet switch.  Plus, an '86 Pre-Standard that's all mahogany, but otherwise the same specs as a Custom 24.  They all have their own mojo and I love 'em all! 😎

1. No. I like each guitar to have a completely different voice compared to the others. One with full sized buckers, one with Firebirds, etc., etc. I love all the classic tones and need tools and pedals that aren’t redundant to get them. Redundant guitars would bother me. I must be weird.

2. No.

Archived