Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My Newport clip through Bubs new Celestion G12-35

Ok.. so in the Newport  thread someone asked for clips. I put some big Rumpel singles in my Newport and I like them. A lot.

So where does Bub’s new Celestion fit in? Well, he sent it to me to try out cause like him I am a speaker guy. The clip link below takes you to Dropbox. I recorded some random classic rock stuff and just noodled around trying to show what each pickup position sounds like clean and dirty while also showing you all what this awesome new Celestion sounds like. The old two birds with one stone thing.

For anyone who cares I plugged into my Mesa TA15 Vox mode for the cleans and the Marshall Hi1 side for the dirty tones. I went straight in except for a Lovepedal Reverb SE3 to add some ambience.

On the recording end of things I close mic’d the closed-back cab with an Audix i5 and I put my new Stam SA67 (U67 clone!) about 2 feet back to catch some room air. Both mics into a Stam 1073 Neve preamp clone and the Audix hit an 1176 compressor set very mild. Then into my Roland Octa-capture interface into my DAW.

The speaker is exactly as Bubs described it...some kind of a crosss between a Greenback and a G12h30. Much tighter and punchier than my Greenbacks, but not in a bad way. It’s not overly punchy like a Tone Tubby 40/40. The speaker has stronger mids than a g12h30, good highs and lows that are just right. This speaker will sit in a mix just right. I do like it, but it will not replace my Greenbacks for THAT  sound. 

‘It sounds like classic Celestion goodness. If you don’t like how GBs can get mushy or too saggy, but you want that core sound, then this is your speaker. The speaker is very well made with a big magnet. 

‘Great Rock And Roll speaker.  When it is fully broken it it will sound awesome! Strangely enough, my JMP didn’t like it....it sounded like it needed more break in in that amp. In the Mesa it just killed.

I really like how jangly and chimey it sounded clean on the Vox side of my Mesa. A Greenback will not do that. This is a very interesting speaker.

Enjoy the clip..,I just plugged and played trying to show the Newport tones and the speaker tones.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8ic19lly1llgjg/Celestion G12-35XH test-001.mp3?dl=0

I agree. I was just goofing around atverylow like onbthat clip in 5 watt mode, but on the Vox side you can clearly hear some of the Blue chime,nespecially in the middle position. Though not recorded,when the Vox side was cranked a bit into gritty jangle, it was  even more apparent. My Greenbacks don’t do that but my Emi Red Fang And EV SRO sure do!

The Mesa TA-15 is definitely an amp I want to own some day. Low in power, high in features, and it has a Class A single ended mode. I really want to have at least one amp capable of that type of operation.

Tb one, it really is an awesome amp head...sooooovrsatile, especially when you pair speaker cabs with the various modes appropriately.

The Red Fang works with them all and so does the EV SRO alnico. 

Oh crap...I accidentally deleted the link. If it is still on my laptop I’ll reload it. It is nothing special at all...just some low-volume noodling throughfamiliar songs to demonstrate the pickups and the speaker. 

Thanks. It is a cool speaker indeed and the Rumpel single coils in my Newport are really really nice. They make me play that guitar more.

• 2 weeks later...
On May 19, 2019 at 11:16 AM, Jakeboy said:

Thanks. It is a cool speaker indeed and the Rumpel single coils in my Newport are really really nice. They make me play that guitar more.

Where is the dang hum?!?!? Are you playing in-between positions? I don't detect the usual comb filtering that positions 2 and 4 impart.

Playing is absolutely spot-on and your tone is flipping AWESOME! I've downloaded it, have it on on repeat in iTunes and it's really enjoyable.

You allowed that speaker to come and go without snagging it?

Great job with all of those licks and riffs, your vibes are really infectious!

Some of those riffs were just spot-on! I want that tone you are getting, but I might have to borrow your hands to do so. lolz!

Thanks Zen! Those Rumpelstiltskin don’t hum very badly at all, not even the P90 type in the bridge and we know how noisy they can be.

LOl Bubs wasn’t selling AFAIK and for Marshall tones I LOVE my Greenback 10s and my fave Emi Red Fang alnico.  Oddly enough my JMP1h was made for GBs and it didn’t like that speaker so I went with the Mesa Marshall channel for the clip.

Thanks for the kind words Zen! 

Archived