Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Scarab Appreciation Thread

Well I don't think there is a ton of love for the Scarab here but I thought I would try and see if anyone wanted to submit pics of cool USA Scarabs they have seen or own or have owned. Not sure that anyone has tried to create one of these for this model before so here goes. I tried to post a pic of my 85 candy red Scarab II but having trouble adding the attachment. Sorry. 

The Scarab was my entrance into the world of Hamer as a friend of mine loved his red and black zulu Scarab II. It's for this reason that the Scarab holds a special place in my guitar heart. 😁 Without the Scarab I would probably never have even tried a Hamer likely. Kind of strange to think now as they are amazing, underappreciated guitars.

Anyways, let's set our time machines back to the 80's and see some cool Scarabs!

Wow, I'm kinda surprised no one has any Scarabs to show here. Is that why they never come up for sale? How few were made between '84-'87? They are a bit quirky but must just not be much love for the old Scarab.

Bummer. 

Would be glad to take some cool ones off someone's hands to add to my '85....

In case you didn't know, there is an issue for a lot of folks in adding pics to posts at the moment.  Our fearless admins are working on it.  Maybe more pics will come later.  I'm not a member of the Scarab club, so I won't be posting, but I will be looking!

Any chance some scarabs had thicker neck profiles or were they all fairly shredder thin...?

I own no Scarab, but I’ll keep an eye on this thread as well!

BTW, @Scarab85, what if you uploaded the first picture of one? 😏

Yep, Zorrow I really wanted to get the ball rolling on this and submit the first pic but still having downloading issues. I just tried and still can't post anything.

As soon as I'm able I will add it. Thanks for the interest in the post!

Hey, Travis I've only played two (the one I own and my friends 80's zulu painted one) and they both have fairly thin necks. They aren't Ibanez or Jackson thin but they kind of seem narrow width wise and definitely not 50's Les Paul or C shaped. Maybe kind of D shaped. But they do feel small to me as I compare them to my other guitars. I like the Scarab but it's not my preferred neck or guitar. They are great guitars but I would say I prefer the fatter more C shaped necks. I find them unique. Something you don't see much at all.

I'm guessing if you like chunkier necks, the Scarab will be too small or thin for you. Just a theory.

5 minutes ago, JochenP said:

about 15 years ago I´ve owned a Scarab

https://www.guitarmaniacs.de/html/users/jochenp/jochenp-gitarre-hamer7.shtml

Sold it (to cheap) 

I.m.o.  if you like the Kahler it will be a cool guitar not only for the heavy way!...

I love the colour!

Ok. So now my pictures are loading. Thank you for fixing that Ted!

Here is my 1985 Scarab. I picked this up in the early 90's for a steal. It's the guitar I've kept the longest from when I started playing many moons ago.

Hope to see some other cool pics!

Thanks JochenP for posting the link to your pink one! Never seen that before.

85Scarab.jpg

Thanks, Dave. Looks like twins.

Would love to find a zulu painted one. Not sure if that will ever happen. Maybe time to post a WTB ad.

3 hours ago, Scarab85 said:

Thanks, Dave. Looks like twins.

Would love to find a zulu painted one. Not sure if that will ever happen. Maybe time to post a WTB ad.

Do it... that's how I was able to purchase a couple of my unique Hamers... you're definitely in the right club, just be patient and one will come along soon enough... I'm sending good Juju your way... or is that good Zulu your way 😉

This album cover was the first time I ever saw a scarab. In fact, to this day I’ve never seen one in person...

E7C90872-731F-49DA-8F7C-069DDEAA131B.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys, so I am still jealous of @boundandcrowned with his fantastic green/blue Scarab but I was able to dry my tears a bit. I found this beautiful blue zulu much closer to home and couldn't resist! The pictures don't quite do it justice since the blue in person to me is quite aqua in nature. Needs a set up but looks to be almost all original (even the famed plastic knobs) except for maybe the toggle switch. Doesn't have the black knob on the end so I'm thinking this got changed over the years. Pretty stoked. The only other blue zulu I've seen is in the Hamer book and that is definitely a different guitar looking at the paint patterns.

85BlueZulu.jpg

85BlueZuluBack.jpg

Another fun thing was when I looked at the serial numbers they were only 3 numbers apart and I've had the red one for over 20 years! Both 85's. Crazy.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:31 AM, Travis said:

This album cover was the first time I ever saw a scarab. In fact, to this day I’ve never seen one in person...

E7C90872-731F-49DA-8F7C-069DDEAA131B.jpeg

I recall being simultaneously annoyed and amused by the fact that Sammy's Hamer had its logo erased/airbrushed.

Archived