Hamer Fan Club Message Center

John 5 plays Brian Jones’ Vox Mk. III “Teardrop” guitar

I've seen quite a few of these.  John 5 is an unbelievable guitarist, yet every time he plays one of these iconic instruments he seems genuinely in awe and respectful of the original player.  Great talent and even greater humility.

13 minutes ago, tommy p said:

I've seen quite a few of these.  John 5 is an unbelievable guitarist, yet every time he plays one of these iconic instruments he seems genuinely in awe and respectful of the original player.  Great talent and even greater humility.

Actually, I have never heard of him before. Looked him up and discovered DLR Band on his reference list. The album totally failed in my ears at the time. Never heard it since. Taste is different though.

He does seem so very respectful of  those who came before him, especially in light of how ridiculously good he is. A flippin’ Monster....

On 5/8/2019 at 1:27 PM, draelyc said:

Cool! What amp is that he's playing through?

Not familiar with the brand, but looks like it's a "Valve Train."

On 5/8/2019 at 3:38 PM, gorch said:

Actually, I have never heard of him before. Looked him up and discovered DLR Band on his reference list. The album totally failed in my ears at the time. Never heard it since. Taste is different though.

Gorch, his album with DLR was never released (although I'd sure like to hear it).  He has solo releases that show off his crazy playing.  He played at a tiny place in my town a year or so ago and I didn't go but some of my friends posted videos.  His playing is so wild and creative I just sit and laugh when I watch it.  Although I know literally not one song of his, if he ever plays here again I'll go.  I first realized how good he was when he was the guest guitarist on an episode or two of That Metal Show.  I'm not a big shred-head or fan of stunt guitar, but I do like John 5 and Paul Gilbert.  I think it's because they both display a good sense of humor.

Insanely talented guy, and not just a shredder - he's really one of those 'can play it all' types.

As for the DLR album, he told a great story on Chris Jericho's podcast about recording all the guitars for it and wrapping up the day before he was leaving for a tour.  Dave apparently said, as J5 was leaving, that they'd have the other guys come in and record their parts.  The engineer/producer said, "Uh, we can't do that.  We didn't record to a click."  So they asked him to re-record everything to a click.  He said (and posts online) that he plays to a metronome all the time at home, so it's pretty much in his wheelhouse, but he had to pack to leave on tour the next day.  He ended up re-recording all the parts in something like 14 hours.

Non-shred:

Shred:

6 hours ago, tommy p said:

Gorch, his album with DLR was never released 

Actually, I have this album at home and successfully looked up his name on it. He played bass on,  I think, the last track of the CD.

On 5/8/2019 at 3:38 PM, gorch said:

J5 is an insane player. Off the top of my head: He learned to play by watching Hee Haw with his father. He learned chicken pickin' at a young age. He then went on to rock citing EVH as an influence. He says Marilyn Manson gave him his name when he toured with him. He's also toured with NIN and done stints with Country Music stars whom I can't remember because, well, who cares about Country Music. He's been touring with Rob Zombie for years as well as touring with his own band(s). If you watch some of his instructional videos he actually says which notes he's playing instead of, "B string, 14th fret," as opposed to Zakk Wylde saying, "The high note." I've never seen anyone do the Chimpanzee better than J5.

Look him up on U-tube if it isn't blocked over there. 

14 minutes ago, gorch said:

Actually, I have this album at home and successfully looked up his name on it. He played bass on,  I think, the last track of the CD.

Different album then I guess.  He recorded a full album on guitar with Dave that has never been released.  atlantig's post above tells a little more about it that I didn't know.  He's talked often how he hopes one day it will come out, but it doesn't look like it's going to.

6 minutes ago, tommy p said:

Different album then I guess.  He recorded a full album on guitar with Dave that has never been released.  atlantig's post above tells a little more about it that I didn't know.  He's talked often how he hopes one day it will come out, but it doesn't look like it's going to.

Ok, I‘m talking about this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLR_Band

2 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

J5 is an insane player. Off the top of my head: He learned to play by watching Hee Haw with his father. He learned chicken pickin' at a young age.

I'm always happy to hear him rep Hee Haw.  People forget what a damned monster Roy Clark was. 

So now I am confused..,did the DLR Band album actually come out and is it available anywhere? And did J5 actually play on it as Wiki states?

I’d like to hear it. Also, is there another DLR album in the can with J5 on it...? 

Ok, not my cup of tea in his j5/MM persona... then saw him with KDlang and was so impressed. Never heard of him before that, but felt compelled to know more.

Like Stuart Smith, the dude has it. Sublime. 

On 5/10/2019 at 3:18 PM, gorch said:

Ok, I‘m talking about this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLR_Band

Cool!  I didn't realize he played so much on that one.  I'll have to check it out.  I'm still guessing there's another one since that one came out long ago and his comments about the unreleased one were more recent.  To the Google machine!

Archived