Hamer Fan Club Message Center

rock n roll relic vs hamer

Just like we advise people to spend a few extra bucks to buy a Hamer USA instead of an import, you might want to think about buying a real Gibson Les Paul Jr. that will be easier to sell later on than one of those Rock N Roll relics.  It might cost twice as much, but will be twice as liquid. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Just like we advise people to spend a few extra bucks to buy a Hamer USA instead of an import, you might want to think about buying a real Gibson Les Paul Jr. that will be easier to sell later on than one of those Rock N Roll relics.  It might cost twice as much, but will be twice as liquid. 

And, the new ones are getting good reviews out of box.  

At the price point they’re at the USA Hamers are quite a bargain. I have never seen one or played a RnR Relic but for the money a used Tom Anderson or Suhr or Music Man are probly better for when it’s time to let it go. And all of the mentioned above are great playing/sounding guitars at about the same expense. If it speaks to you buy it... if it speaks several languages it’s a keeper!!

I briefly owned a rock n roll relic. Looked awesome,  played pretty nicely.  Didn’t totally hear it in the amp but I think billy looks like he’s dialing the designs a little better.   I’d say if you found one for a good deal (low teens). Sure. Worth a spin.  But if it’s like $1800-$2000.  Would buy a used custom shop junior and special.  Good value and easy to resell.   Will also say,  Gibson starting to get its act together.  The new les Paul special is getting good feedback.   They’re just introduced at $1599 not a great deal but once they start hitting the used market and clearance definitely worth a look.    My problem with hamer.  Nice guitars but between the super hot p-90, skinny necks, and tuneamatic bridge, not quite sure were talking apples to apples.    A lot of the p-90 specials now 25 years old so not as easy as it used to be finding clean ones.    Thinking the p-90 specials rose out of the ashes of hair metal.   So definitely a vintage vibe but still a really hot pickup.    The les Paul classics of that era are the same deal.   Slim neck hot pickups.     Thinking people now are more enlightened to wrap tail, weight and fuller necks 

thanks everyone.. I think for now I should just keep my hamer special.. mine actually has a normal sized neck... the P/u's are a bit hot... but I guess I could fix that....  maybe wait and try and find a single wrap tail gibson down the road

1 minute ago, crunchee said:

Anybody know what the resale value of those R&R Relics are?  Maybe a 'used' (second-hand) one could be found for a LOT cheaper than a so-called 'new' one.

I'd never buy a new one..  I usually see them for about $1600-2K used

39 minutes ago, neastguy said:

thanks everyone.. I think for now I should just keep my hamer special.. mine actually has a normal sized neck... the P/u's are a bit hot... but I guess I could fix that....  maybe wait and try and find a single wrap tail gibson down the road

Change out the pickups for under $300.00!! There’s some waaaay better P90’s out there than the stock Duncans. I put custom minibuckers in one of my specials. Quiet and close to P90 BUT LOTS MORE!!!

No way I'd pay $1,500-$2k for one of those.

I got a used Monty for $1200. It's a pretty low-profile brand - Brian Monty is a one-man shop in the wilds of Canada - built very old-school, not very many a year. Big round neck, super-thin nitro finish, three-on-a-plate tuners, bone nut, MOP inlaid logo, real 50s style. Lollar pickup. Sounds amazing, and if you roll back the tone to 5, you get a "neck pickup" tone.

They pop up on Reverb now and then, and probably on The Gear Page. If you want a really traditionally-made 50s-style Junior for under $1500 I highly recommend it.

IMG_8476.jpg

12 hours ago, neastguy said:

have you played one?

No interest at their price point when there's so much better for less!  ;)

Well, "better" is a loaded word.  If you have not tried one of those Rock N Roll relics how can you be sure?  Those Max replica Les Pauls are supposed to be super close to the real thing.  Maybe the Rock N Roll relics have tapped the magic of a Junior or Special. 

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Well, "better" is a loaded word.  If you have not tried one of those Rock N Roll relics how can you be sure?  Those Max replica Les Pauls are supposed to be super close to the real thing.  Maybe the Rock N Roll relics have tapped the magic of a Junior or Special. 

exactly

Archived