Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The '80s called....

17 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Maybe a dumb question, but if you're considering this, why wouldn't you just get brass saddles?

Because they're not selling Saddles they're selling the added brass weight that attaches to the existing Bridge

If you look at Tele saddles they have all these newfangled compensated ones with slots/angles etc.  you can spend $100 on that crap imho the best ones imho are bigass brass saddles.    

I thought the ultra lite bridges and stop bars had the killer tone? Are we going back to eggs are good for us again?

36 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

It reminds me of a DiMarzio brass trem I have that I'm saving for a project... "internet photo" cuz I'm too lazy to dig mine out to take a photographAtrIQ8M.png

GoLgu8v.png

You won't be able to stop the notes with that much sustain. 

I purchased a Charvel repro brass tremolo from KCG. It’s beautifully machined and stays in tune well. The owner was a bit of a PITA to deal with via his website, but I’ve since had no problems with his Reverb store. 

8 hours ago, scottcald said:

Maybe a dumb question, but if you're considering this, why wouldn't you just get brass saddles?

Killer Keyhole Brass Saddles - Vintage Charvel Style or Fender 2-7/32" 11.2mm Tremolo or Hardtail https://reverb.com/item/3181530-killer-keyhole-brass-saddles-vintage-charvel-style-or-fender-2-7-32-11-2mm-tremolo-or-hardtail?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share😆

7 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I thought the ultra lite bridges and stop bars had the killer tone? Are we going back to eggs are good for us again?

It goes back and forth. The lighter the better. It used to be the heavier and more dense the better the sustain. But chambered bodies provide a more airy tone. Weight relieving heavy bodies makes it more comfortable but sacrifices tonal properties of the wood. Solid bodies are tighter than semi hollows which are more resonant. one piece vs two piece vs three piece vs pancake, etc...

I don’t even know anymore. If it sounds good, it is good. If it’s heavy I’ll get stronger to be able to hold it longer. If it’s lighter I’ll add weight to it to make it sustain longer...

whatever...

1 hour ago, Dave Scepter said:

Yep, got dems, too. Those are going in this weekend along with a Floyd Rose brass claw. Additionally, I'm gonna shield my Charvel with conductive paint in the cavities and aluminum tape on the control cover, install a creme, SD EVH 'bucker with a black ring and swap out the open-gear, Hipshot Griplocks with enclosed, staggered lockers. It is such a kickass guitar, with an authoritative, "splank" that really cuts through.

Funny; this Charvel is my simplest guitar, but the one I always reach daily for.

59 minutes ago, RobB said:

Yep, got dems, too. Those are going in this weekend along with a Floyd Rose brass claw. Additionally, I'm gonna shield my Charvel with conductive paint in the cavities and aluminum tape on the control cover, install a creme, SD EVH 'bucker with a black ring and swap out the open-gear, Hipshot Griplocks with enclosed, staggered lockers. It is such a kickass guitar, with an authoritative, "splank" that really cuts through.

Funny; this Charvel is my simplest guitar, but the one I always reach daily for.

Rob, you should post some progress photos

Capital idea, Dave. I've been toying with posting, "Knurls From the Wrench", semi-instructional photo-blogs. I enjoy Jeffro's and diablo175's posts on repair/mods and quite miss Platzer's always informative contributions. 

Murkat, where's are ye?

10 hours ago, Travis said:

It goes back and forth. The lighter the better. It used to be the heavier and more dense the better the sustain. But chambered bodies provide a more airy tone. Weight relieving heavy bodies makes it more comfortable but sacrifices tonal properties of the wood. Solid bodies are tighter than semi hollows which are more resonant. one piece vs two piece vs three piece vs pancake, etc...

I don’t even know anymore. If it sounds good, it is good. If it’s heavy I’ll get stronger to be able to hold it longer. If it’s lighter I’ll add weight to it to make it sustain longer...

whatever...

Regarding heavy vs. light, the main determiner for me anymore is my back, thanks to getting older.  Also, playing sitting down has more appeal to me every day, it's like taking a bus or subway, why stand when you can sit?

Cue T-Model Ford video:

Resonance and sustain: Lighter is better. Heavier is better. Steel is better. Cold rolled steel is even better. Aluminum is better. Aircraft-grade aluminum is even better. Brass is better. Bell brass is even better. Titanium is so much better that it usually doesn't even get vividly descriptive adjectives, "titanium" is plenty good enough.

Not to be taken as a bash of the OP product, that brass lip may truly be a godsend to tone for some guitarists ... I'm just loving the power of marketing as it relates to guitar stuff and products in general, particularly to items in the marketplace that are solutions in search of a legitimate problem to successfully address.

On that note, I'm currently working on a Fret Shack proprietary design cavity cover screw set that is a complex blend of melted meteorite and moonrock chips and dust balls removed from inside Jimi Hendrix's Woodstock wah. I make the screws by hand in a smoke-free home and my screws were never gigged, only tested in a home studio environment. I only have enough material to make a limited run of the screws, and a five-screw set is $2.3 million. Please share with your friends on The Gear Page.

1 hour ago, Studio Custom said:

People respond to songs, period.   Steve Vai should be broke based on his use of a basswood Ibanez through a Carvin preamp pedal, but somehow he has squeaked out a living.  😁

Eddie Van Halen's done all right with the basswood too.  

11 hours ago, Jeff R said:

I only have enough material to make a limited run of the screws, and a five-screw set is $2.3 million. Please share with your friends on The Gear Page.

Aw, come on, Jeff. Don't be so quick to exaggerate. If you priced those screws at $2,300, I bet you could actually sell a few sets to Gear Page guys.😆

Archived