Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Bursts - How Many Flavors Did They Come In?

Since buying my GATA59, I've been perusing the HFC, and I see a lot of unofficial variations (some with internal nicknames) on the "basic" 59 Burst. I'm curious how many of these have names and what the differences are between them. I've seen some identified as "Jazzburst," "BCR burst," and a couple other names I've forgotten. Are these just variations that are attributable to a specific finisher's style/taste, or actual finish "recipes" that could be requested even though they never got a name and code in the catalogue? Please post pictures so we can compare how they all stack up!

My 59 changes, depending on light and angle. Sometimes it looks very red/caramel, while other times it is much more traditional red/amber (not really yellow). Pretty sure mine's a "stock" 59 Burst, but it is absolutely stunning - like almost every Hamer burst I've seen! Show me yours! IMG_20190416_080302_350.jpg.f0e91fb8cbdb84ea29cbc8745dfbb8fb.jpgprofile.jpg.1ae372cd3f1ab9b2dc13ca0953635a2b.jpg

Hamer officially had these specific burst types:

'59 Burst (red fading to orange in the middle)
Amber Burst (red-orange fading to yellow-amber in the middle)
Jazzburst (brown-black fading to yellow-amber in the middle)
Tobacco Sunburst (red-brown fading to amber in the middle)

BCR Burst was a custom-ordered variation on '59 Burst. And of course there was human variation within all the above (hard to spot some of the differences in the 2009 catalog: http://www.buddlejagarden.co.uk/hamer/2009cata.pdf), and some ambiguity about whether the names were being used consistently.

Your Artist Custom could easily be called Amberburst IMHO.

I'm trying to upload some more pics, but having difficulty... It looks much more "59" than "Amberburst" in person, but the lighting at my parents' house when I unboxed it made it look much more yellow than orange in those pics.

Edit: It just occurred to me that this was basically mint, unplayed when I bought it, but that doesn't mean it spent the last 18 years in its case... this could be an Amberburst, or it could be a faded 59!

Edit 2: I probably should have posted this in "Ask the Experts..." I just noticed a "Scarab Colors" thread that this is similar to... oh well...

3 hours ago, cynic said:

I thought these two were the same other than the jazzburst having the same burst treatment on its backside.

What Hamer originally called Jazzburst had a very dark edge:

4new3c.jpg

And Tobacco Sunburst had a very reddish brown edge:

4newp90a.jpg

But the lines did get blurry at times.

5 hours ago, burningyen said:

Hamer officially had these specific burst types:

'59 Burst (red fading to orange in the middle)
Amber Burst (red-orange fading to yellow-amber in the middle)
Jazzburst (brown-black fading to yellow-amber in the middle)
Tobacco Sunburst (red-brown fading to amber in the middle)

BCR Burst was a custom-ordered variation on '59 Burst. And of course there was human variation within all the above (hard to spot some of the differences in the 2009 catalog: http://www.buddlejagarden.co.uk/hamer/2009cata.pdf), and some ambiguity about whether the names were being used consistently.

And apart from the bursts mentioned above, there is also the Washed Ic'd T-burst and the Black Cherry burst (like on a Newport posted recently in the "For sale" section).

Gabe 😀

Emeraldburst.

My%20Envyburst%20wShlabotniks_zps6gfwuc2

Here’s a Talladega in “amber burst” for you to compare. Although the “burst” on this is really subtle to me...

62193ACD-FB63-4282-A297-39B9532B3C5E.jpeg

My fave Hamer 'bursts are tobacco over figured maple, and '59burst over mid-90's, dot-necked Standards. That lovely Jazzburst on the Newport90s gets an honorable mention.

938717908_20190427_183218(5).jpg.66fe05dbcf269b601b427d861549b38b.jpg1448171409_tryagain.jpg.b7a12d46f047ceba9649571fca843ffd.jpg1816741267_tryagain3.jpg.8d67b14f5e8ba4423f96836452bf2e63.jpg

Hooray!!! I can post pics again! Here's three of my 2001 59 Burst in different lighting. Weird thing is, the top puts most "10s" to shame, but it doesn't photograph well... or maybe it's just my phone camera that sucks!

All of my electrics are bursts, this pic is my Hamer harem from three summers ago. Since then two have left and four have come in (or back in the case of the Camstone Junior). 

What's the color of the Cruise bass on the left end? That's a Hamer burst finish that has not been mentioned. Probably my least favorite since you can't see the wood through it.

Hamer Guitar Shoot 007 (1024x768).jpg

CamJrPallet.jpg

Newport 2.JPG

Phantom (1024x768).jpg

Tally 1.jpg

The Cruisebass is Black Cherry Burst.

Very nice!

12 hours ago, butcher said:

DSC01145.JPG

I had a Goldtop P-90 3 Hole Duotone - yet another one of the ones I should never have sold...but THIS ONE IS THE BEST EVER!

Archived