Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Saw Judas Priest Again Last Night

There are some bands I will see again this year that I saw last year, so there really is no need to write the same review over and over.  Stryper will be about the same as last year.  Deep Purple is going to be about the same, too.  This is just an update to what I wrote back in September

Judas Priest and Uriah Heep played the Fox Theatre in Atlanta last night.  This time around I was on Andy Sneap and Ian Hill's side of the stage.  Richie Faulkner never walked over to that side of the stage. 

Richie Faulkner had his decked out Flying V's, probably the Epiphone and Gibson he had last year.  He also had a Les Paul or something like one. 

Andy Sneap was playing ESP Flying V's along with a couple of Gibson Flying V's.  Like last time, one of the ESP V's was extra pointy and used maybe on one song.  One of the Gibsons had a Floyd added while the other had a normal bridge.  He also had an Edwards Explorer with a weird bridge that I could not identify. 

Ian Hill had four Spectors, all black.  The fretboards were black, maybe ebony, but blacker.  One had black strings, and the other had very white strings like they were coated rather than simply wound with nickel or stainless steel.  Ian also had a set of Moog bass pedals. 

The beauty of this year's tour is the setlist.  Judas Priest dug into their catalog and pulled out songs for dedicated Priest fans.  They dropped some of the songs they have been wearing out for decades.  Stuff you never would have expected to hear live again is on the setlist. 

As for Uriah Heep, they sound perfect.  Mick Box had Engl amps and his Les Paul shaped Carparelli guitars, maybe real Les Pauls, too.  There could have been something else.  Davey Rimmer had a most beautiful Warwick Streamer bass with a transparent white finish over flamed maple.  The neck was a dark wood, maybe wenge.  The fretboard had large blue LEDs we might as well call "stadium LEDs."  His Ampeg cabinets were right in front of me, so I got a heavy dose of Uriah Heep bass.  Phil Lanzon's organ is made to resemble a Marshall cabinet. 

How was Halford? The only video I saw from the tour made me... well, sad. He didn't seem very mobile, and was draped in a cape, huge hat, shades. Without Glenn and KK, and with Halford looking like he was ready to sit down, it just reminded me too much my own decay.

When Halford came back in the early 2000s he would not look at the audience.  In recent years he has looked at the audience more.  Halford walks around the stage between lyrics most of the time instead of being cheerleader.  It is noticeable.  Yes, he did come to the front and direct the audience a few times, just not as much as other singers.  Bernie Shaw was a ball of enthusiasm with Uriah Heep. 

Halford seems dependent on a teleprompter, too.  He hit his notes last night when he had to hit those high screams.  The audience was wowed when Halford sang Victim Of Changes. 

By the way, it was a good thing that I prepaid for parking at the Fox.  If I had just showed up those lots were $30 to park.  The $12 or $15 paid in advance was a good thing!

2 hours ago, polara said:

How was Halford? The only video I saw from the tour made me... well, sad. He didn't seem very mobile, and was draped in a cape, huge hat, shades. Without Glenn and KK, and with Halford looking like he was ready to sit down, it just reminded me too much my own decay.

Most. Honest. Reply. Ever.

I saw them (sans Glenn) at Wilkes-Barre last year.  I had a great time.  But I was curious how his body and voice would hold up with the touring.  Seems like he's doing just fine.

Archived