Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Brass nuts?

polara

Question

I'm gonna put the brass nut that came in the case with the '79 Sunburst back on it. Because, Teh Seventies. Well, mostly because the one the seller stuck on instead is kinda funky in how it was cut.

What do ya'll think of them? I really doubt I'll tell a difference but maybe it'll not be sticky. I associate them with walnut-and-zebrawood hippie sandwich guitars with a bunch of switches and vine-of-life inlays but maybe they have good points?

Heh. heh. He said brass nuts. Heh.

12 answers to this question

Brass is doing good on anything tone generating. I even have brass coated strings and a brass coin pick. B)

If that particular guitar were mine, I'd take it to the most qualified guy I could find and have him put an exact factory duplicate on there. Yes, you're throwing more money on the fire, but it's better all the way around.

I'm putting one on a project...just to give it a shot.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:00 PM, hamerhead said:

If that particular guitar were mine, I'd take it to the most qualified guy I could find and have him put an exact factory duplicate on there. Yes, you're throwing more money on the fire, but it's better all the way around.

I almost certainly will. The guy builds high-end acoustics and is a bit of a miracle worker: I'm trusting him to do a neck re-set on my '74 Gretsch now.

But as of now, I put the brass nut on and it sounds and plays much better. The guitar has risen from the... badly set-up, to rock again. I can't say anything about the tonal qualities of brass, as the old nut was not cut well, so it's apples to zucchinis. 

You were on track when you were thinking brass would be period correct even though it was not factory correct.  Things like brass nuts and mini-switches were part of the time period.  It is good that it worked out better for you, too. 

On 5/12/2019 at 6:52 AM, polara said:

...  I can't say anything about the tonal qualities of brass ... 

The aftermarket of metal snare drums says plenty about the desirability of brass snare drum shells vs. aluminum or steel-based shells.

Ludwig Super-Sensitive (their top model) aluminum alloy shell snare drum.

Ludwig Chrome-Over-Brass (COB) snare drums.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:50 PM, spanky said:

Why did manufatures stop using brass nuts? and why did they start? I have one on my early 80's MIJ Washburn Raven which also has a brass bridge and hardware, it is a great guitar.

My understanding is it started with jazzers. I’m certain cost is a factor in many cases. Gotta make that extra buck!

Archived