Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Thumb/flash drive player? (Here we go again?)

hamerhead

Question

I'm sure I've asked this before but it didn't come up in a search so here we go again:

I'm looking for something that will play music from a flash drive that has stereo RCA outs or a headphone jack to connect it to a board or stereo or whatever else you wanna plug it into. Help!

Thanks.

13 answers to this question

Haven't tried anything like that myself. For between set music at gig's I drag along an old iPod. Definitely curious to see what gets recommended that isn't a roll your own Arduino project or anything like that.

I have also used this to stream from a phone to the mixer and have been very happy with it:  Bluetooth Receiver

Specifically accepting a usb thumb drive? Not sure on those, but my Fiio X3 ii takes a micro SD, has 1/8" headphone and line level outs, and sounds awesome through my old Marantz/JBL setup. 

This is an out there idea but....

The classic ipods are the best.  There is an adapter to put an sd card in it to replace the spinning drive.  Best of both worlds.  If you have an old ipod it is a great mod.  Can replace battery at same time.

22 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Looks like Dave nailed your requirements.  What's the use case?

No, I think he's actually looking for something like an iPod, Walkman or equivalent but uses the flash drive as its source & that has aux out... not a lot of options out there do to the fact that most people either use their phones, iPods or SD cards

I have something similar to that in my Amazon cart, Dave:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TOAAHG4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1GL48MCCW80M9&psc=1

...but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Yours looks like it's more for movies and/or video playback (no MP3s), while this one has an AV out and plays MP3s. You could also hook it up to a 2TB hard drive and never hear the same song twice. Ever.

Wow, amazing: dream up an A/V need and there's a product for under $50 that'll satisfy it with two day delivery.

Earlier this year I ripped (again) all my CDs into FLAC format onto a network-accessible hard drive and bought a $20 D/A converter with an optical input.  My FireTV was able to locate that stash and stream it through the tele into my hi-fi stereo rig.  Yes, I can hear the difference between my vintage expensive (?!) Denon CD player and the $20 D/A, but the convenience?  And if I spent more than $20 on a D/A, I'd probably surpass the Denon.

The point is if you have a unique use case and own your digital library, you can stream it in house (and externally) at obscene quality for close to no cost.  See PLEX and VLC.  Cool thing is that you can set most of it up with a remote or phone in one hand and a martini in the other, using only your thumbs.

Not really, Scott. I saw those, too. I want to load music on a plain regular thumb drive and and be able to play it back like you would a CD or cassette, in multiple areas around the house/garage/shed and work. But instead of hundreds of CDs, it's all on a stick.

I'm no audiophile (no shit, right?). The high end has been fried outta my ears for years and to compensate, I like using a Sonic Maximizer between stereo components to add some top and bottom. With blue tooth and the built-in USBs on a lot of receivers nowadays, there is no way of getting a Maximizer in the chain, hence the standalone thumb drive player.

Somebody needs to build a CD changer with a USB port, dammit. God I'm old.......

Oh, then I’d say that you should get an older Mac mini or laptop. Go out the 1/8” to RCA or 1/4” into your BBE. If it’s balanced, add a direct box.  You should be able to do the same with the Bluetooth receiver.  

Archived