Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA - Used DANTZIG TULSA LIGHT AMBER

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, when did GC start using 'Great' as a description?  IMO, that tells me very little.  Also, I'm not a fan of the cutaway on that guitar, looking at it makes me want to round it off with sandpaper to make it more Talledega-like.

10 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Also, I'm not a fan of the cutaway on that guitar, looking at it makes me want to round it off with sandpaper to make it more Talledega-like.

Or just save yourself two grand and get an actual Talladega.
Because if there's one thing this world needs, it's a more expensive, more pretentious Talladega.

21 minutes ago, crunchee said:

So, when did GC start using 'Great' as a description?  IMO, that tells me very little.  Also, I'm not a fan of the cutaway on that guitar, looking at it makes me want to round it off with sandpaper to make it more Talledega-like.

I have no idea.  I’ve ordered things that were the lowest rating and they were mint.    I like to consider the gc ratings to be a shape shifting amoeba.   That way I’m less disappointed.   

The Tulsa design pales in comparison to a Talladega.   The Dantzig logo, the headstock, the body carve, the "violin" (?) top carve doesn't do it for me.  I bet that went for 2x the GC price 1-2 years ago.   

44 minutes ago, burningyen said:

I only just now made the connection between the shape of Jol's 3x3 headstock and the last version of Hamer's truss rod cover.

It's been years since I made the connection between the body styles of these guitars and a clumsily executed middle school woodshop project.

I like to think I choose a guitar with ears and hands, not eyes. I'm sure it's a terrific-playing guitar. But it's... an interesting collection of curves and angles, yeah.

The Talladega is such a beautiful looking guitar. These may sound just as good, but Joel created a masterpiece the first time and these just don't have that appeal to me.

20 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

It’s gone!! Somebody liked it

Honestly, I'm not crazy about it.  The carve and shape is kinda gross.  But, I decided to subscribe to the "ears and hands" theory @polara mentioned above.  That, and there are many photos on the Dantzig instagram that nearly make it look cool.

Worst case scenario is I make the seventy mile round trip to GC to return it.

9 hours ago, cynic said:

Honestly, I'm not crazy about it.  The carve and shape is kinda gross.  But, I decided to subscribe to the "ears and hands" theory @polara mentioned above.  That, and there are many photos on the Dantzig instagram that nearly make it look cool.

Worst case scenario is I make the seventy mile round trip to GC to return it.

I think it's cool, but I don't have the baggage against Jol that most of this board does.  ;)

Bottom line:  It's NGD and I hope you dig it!

This clip features the same guitar when new.  Has anyone ever heard of this reclusive John Grail, pickup guru guy?  It wouldn't surprise me to learn it's some schmo winding in-house and the whole story is fabricated to imply exclusivity.

18 minutes ago, cynic said:

This clip features the same guitar when new.  Has anyone ever heard of this reclusive John Grail, pickup guru guy?  It wouldn't surprise me to learn it's some schmo winding in-house and the whole story is fabricated to imply exclusivity.

And people wonder why there's "baggage against Jol."

19 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Has anyone ever heard of this reclusive John Grail, pickup guru guy?

Hm, me thinks he mumbled Holy Grail. These would be the ones, everybody's been talking about for ages, no?

:ph34r:

Archived