Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA - Used DANTZIG TULSA LIGHT AMBER

On 5/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, Pieman said:

The Tulsa design pales in comparison to a Talladega.   The Dantzig logo, the headstock, the body carve, the "violin" (?) top carve doesn't do it for me.  I bet that went for 2x the GC price 1-2 years ago.   

Certainly a matter of opinion, but I share yours. I can deal with the logo and the headstock, but the German carve has been done to death by boutique builders at this point. I'm sure it plays like buttah and sounds nice, to boot. Jol's body designs, like some others in his market niche, just don't appeal to me...at all. Even Mike Shishkov's single-cut design (the Maverick?) looks extremely awkward to me, yet I love the look of his DC Custom and the Super C. To each, his own, especially if he is paying for it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/13/2019 at 3:57 PM, killerteddybear said:

Samick could sue for the headstock...

They could. But with that same headstock, and their own amazing level of quality (certainly not Samick's), I would have bought tons of Hamers. Tons. Oh well.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:17 PM, Biz Prof said:

. Even Mike Shishkov's single-cut design (the Maverick?) looks extremely awkward to me, yet I love the look of his DC Custom and the Super C. 

I find the Maverick and the Epiphone (Gibson) DC Pro very similar looking. I have a hard time adapting to this asymetrical design, compared to the classic look of a Gibson JR and Hamer Sunburst / Studio.

preview.jpg

12 hours ago, Eli said:

This one would literally do it:

88_12inlineheadstock.jpg.442ad7e759aca3164ea21ab7b863090e.jpg

Please tell me that’s a photoshop...

15 minutes ago, Travis said:

Please tell me that’s a photoshop...

Nope, that was an actual option back in the late '80s, early '90s.  

Aesthetics aside, this Tulsa is badass.  The German carve isn't nearly as pronounced as photos imply.  It still ain't Nik Huber Orca carve sexy, but it's not hideous in person.  Fit/finish is as it should be for the price.  It plays great but has some intonation things going on that I'm sure are just a result of setup error.  I really like P90s but I wish these cleaned up a little more than they do.  I'm sure I can find a Joel Danzig fan that will give me top dollar for the "Grails" if I can't get them dialed in.

The cutaway is as ugly as it appears in the photos but if I adjust the angle of the mirror in my "studio" just a hair I don't see it.

23 hours ago, cynic said:

Aesthetics aside, this Tulsa is badass.  The German carve isn't nearly as pronounced as photos imply.  It still ain't Nik Huber Orca carve sexy, but it's not hideous in person.  Fit/finish is as it should be for the price.  It plays great but has some intonation things going on that I'm sure are just a result of setup error.  I really like P90s but I wish these cleaned up a little more than they do.  I'm sure I can find a Joel Danzig fan that will give me top dollar for the "Grails" if I can't get them dialed in.

The cutaway is as ugly as it appears in the photos but if I adjust the angle of the mirror in my "studio" just a hair I don't see it.

Lower them, more than likely they are too close to the strings. Jols not going to use crap pickups, I would fault to the setup first. 

20 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Lower them, more than likely they are too close to the strings. Jols not going to use crap pickups, I would fault to the setup first. 

Yeah, all Jol-bashing aside, dude can build a guitar and knows his stuff. P90s are mad-sensitive to setup. I'll bet a couple days tweaking and it'll sing. Happy NDG!

I've ignored the Tally and the Tulsa.  I had the choice between the Gustavsson and the so-called "copy" built by Ian Anderson.  The Tally and the Tulsa came out after the Gustavsson too.  The Tele-Paul idea isn't original to any of the luthiers/companies.  I prefer the Les Paul scale.  Best 4K I ever spent.

e9CQRGq.jpg

Then, Ian dicked me on the Flying Vee...

On 5/18/2019 at 4:07 PM, Biz Prof said:

Nope, that was an actual option back in the late '80s, early '90s.  

Not only was it an option, but you could also play 3 periods of hockey when you were done playing!  It was even available... ON THE DOUBLENECK

webmaster-dn612-2.jpg

On 5/18/2019 at 3:50 AM, Eli said:

This one would literally do it:

88_12inlineheadstock.jpg.442ad7e759aca3164ea21ab7b863090e.jpg

52 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

webmaster-dn612-2.jpg

I'll never understand why people treat Carvin like they're a punchline. 

56 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Don't get me wrong, I love their guitars and basses, before the recent crop where they decided that fanned frets, headless guitars, and 24 frets only was the way to be. They even killed of the "product suggestions" part of their forum so people would stop complaining about "the old days" of rational guitar design.

But, the hockey stick Carvin 12 string headstock is just... something else.

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

I'd actually love to have that doubleneck.  I've got a few Carvins, they're all well made and engineered.  I think they're probably doing their best work now, as Kiesel.

As much as I love the staid elegance of the 50's, I love the preposterous excess of the 80's.

And, who here doesn't love a quintuple neck?

Archived