Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recommended Posts

On 5/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, Pieman said:

The Tulsa design pales in comparison to a Talladega.   The Dantzig logo, the headstock, the body carve, the "violin" (?) top carve doesn't do it for me.  I bet that went for 2x the GC price 1-2 years ago.   

Certainly a matter of opinion, but I share yours. I can deal with the logo and the headstock, but the German carve has been done to death by boutique builders at this point. I'm sure it plays like buttah and sounds nice, to boot. Jol's body designs, like some others in his market niche, just don't appeal to me...at all. Even Mike Shishkov's single-cut design (the Maverick?) looks extremely awkward to me, yet I love the look of his DC Custom and the Super C. To each, his own, especially if he is paying for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 3:57 PM, killerteddybear said:

Samick could sue for the headstock...

They could. But with that same headstock, and their own amazing level of quality (certainly not Samick's), I would have bought tons of Hamers. Tons. Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it back.  For that price, it was a deal.  I remember seeing that video  Congrats and enjoy>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 10:17 PM, Biz Prof said:

. Even Mike Shishkov's single-cut design (the Maverick?) looks extremely awkward to me, yet I love the look of his DC Custom and the Super C. 

I find the Maverick and the Epiphone (Gibson) DC Pro very similar looking. I have a hard time adapting to this asymetrical design, compared to the classic look of a Gibson JR and Hamer Sunburst / Studio.

preview.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Disturber said:

I find the Maverick and the Epiphone (Gibson) DC Pro very similar looking. I have a hard time adapting to this asymetrical design, compared to the classic look of a Gibson JR and Hamer Sunburst / Studio.

preview.jpg

You won't when you play it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 0054 said:

You won't when you play it.

No one should ever recommend that anyone play an Epiphone.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MCChris said:

No one should ever recommend that anyone play an Epiphone.

Clapton agrees with you.

spacer.png

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eNURvxn.png

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Disturber said:

 

preview.jpg

That headstock hurts my eyes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dana_V said:

That headstock hurts my eyes.

This one would literally do it:

88_12inlineheadstock.jpg.442ad7e759aca3164ea21ab7b863090e.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Eli said:

This one would literally do it:

88_12inlineheadstock.jpg.442ad7e759aca3164ea21ab7b863090e.jpg

Please tell me that’s a photoshop...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Travis said:

Please tell me that’s a photoshop...

Nope, that was an actual option back in the late '80s, early '90s.  

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aesthetics aside, this Tulsa is badass.  The German carve isn't nearly as pronounced as photos imply.  It still ain't Nik Huber Orca carve sexy, but it's not hideous in person.  Fit/finish is as it should be for the price.  It plays great but has some intonation things going on that I'm sure are just a result of setup error.  I really like P90s but I wish these cleaned up a little more than they do.  I'm sure I can find a Joel Danzig fan that will give me top dollar for the "Grails" if I can't get them dialed in.

The cutaway is as ugly as it appears in the photos but if I adjust the angle of the mirror in my "studio" just a hair I don't see it.

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I think of P90s,

It's Josh. Gravelin. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cynic said:

Aesthetics aside, this Tulsa is badass.  The German carve isn't nearly as pronounced as photos imply.  It still ain't Nik Huber Orca carve sexy, but it's not hideous in person.  Fit/finish is as it should be for the price.  It plays great but has some intonation things going on that I'm sure are just a result of setup error.  I really like P90s but I wish these cleaned up a little more than they do.  I'm sure I can find a Joel Danzig fan that will give me top dollar for the "Grails" if I can't get them dialed in.

The cutaway is as ugly as it appears in the photos but if I adjust the angle of the mirror in my "studio" just a hair I don't see it.

 

Lower them, more than likely they are too close to the strings. Jols not going to use crap pickups, I would fault to the setup first. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Lower them, more than likely they are too close to the strings. Jols not going to use crap pickups, I would fault to the setup first. 

Yeah, all Jol-bashing aside, dude can build a guitar and knows his stuff. P90s are mad-sensitive to setup. I'll bet a couple days tweaking and it'll sing. Happy NDG!

Edited by polara
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

 Jols not going to use crap pickups,

History is against this statement. Great guitars? Yes. Pickup selection? Not to my ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 0054 said:

History is against this statement. Great guitars? Yes. Pickup selection? Not to my ears.

The History of Dantzig Guitars? The reset button has been pushed my friend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ignored the Tally and the Tulsa.  I had the choice between the Gustavsson and the so-called "copy" built by Ian Anderson.  The Tally and the Tulsa came out after the Gustavsson too.  The Tele-Paul idea isn't original to any of the luthiers/companies.  I prefer the Les Paul scale.  Best 4K I ever spent.

e9CQRGq.jpg

Then, Ian dicked me on the Flying Vee...

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

The History of Dantzig Guitars? The reset button has been pushed my friend. 

His history is old, so old there is a forum for it! That old!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Shark said:

 

"Then, Ian dicked me"

From what I've heard, this should be his tagline.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, polara said:

Yeah, all Jol-bashing aside, dude can hire good builders to build guitars for him.

Edited slightly.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 2:37 PM, MCChris said:

No one should ever recommend that anyone play an Epiphone.

You have obviously never played a japanese one. 

IMG_20170207_162819.jpg.1055bbfcaa4164a3b807473d8d9df032.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 4:07 PM, Biz Prof said:

Nope, that was an actual option back in the late '80s, early '90s.  

Not only was it an option, but you could also play 3 periods of hockey when you were done playing!  It was even available... ON THE DOUBLENECK

webmaster-dn612-2.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 3:50 AM, Eli said:

This one would literally do it:

88_12inlineheadstock.jpg.442ad7e759aca3164ea21ab7b863090e.jpg

 

52 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

 

webmaster-dn612-2.jpg

I'll never understand why people treat Carvin like they're a punchline. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...