Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: New '58 & '60 Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls At DGS

No affiliation.  I'm not a member of the 'Deep Pockets' club but I gotta ask...what's the difference between a new Gibson CS '58 LP and a new CS '59 LP, besides $1500?  If weight is a factor between the two, I don't see that much difference, at least not $1500 worth.  And yes, I already know about the '60 model's slimmer neck, I only mention it here in case somebody's interested in those, as they're not around all that often:

https://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-custom-shop/type/electric/condition/new/

Guess there will be a bit more often on the market in the coming years....I guess at least :) and I hope not with deep pocket needs

There are dozens of used R9's on Reverb right now that aren't selling. Hard to believe there is a big demand for new ones at $6500.

I got my R8 for $2800 two years ago and it has a really sweet wide flame top on it.

2 hours ago, crunchee said:

No affiliation.  I'm not a member of the 'Deep Pockets' club but I gotta ask...what's the difference between a new Gibson CS '58 LP and a new CS '59 LP, besides $1500?  If weight is a factor between the two, I don't see that much difference, at least not $1500 worth.

Less ink used for the 9 vs. the 8 on the serial number prevents neck dive and gives a more delicate tonal balance. [/tgp]

I also think they’re both incredibly overpriced, plenty of them out there used as has been  mentioned....................these are not  a rare guitars by any shake of the tail.If you bought one of these new and owned it a month and tried to sell it for anywhere near those prices I believe you would be very disappointed.

I love my 58 Reissue, but its not my favorite guitar. I remember holding a couple of 12K reissues, just crazy money for guitar no better than the one I have. Maybe even not as good as the one I have. 

Those expensive guitars (I do love R9s) are more sensitive than cheaper ones to economic conditions. The US have been in a slowing growth (literally still growth, I have not said recession) for about a year now, and there are no signs of this stopping... for now.

You can see offers of many, many earlier difficult to find guitars today, and sellers are motivated. I think this process has much further to go. It's getting more of a buyer´s market now.

I don't think you quite have a handle on the consumer climate here, Jorge.

GDP growth is slowing from 2017, but still healthy. Dropped from 4% to less than 3%, but is still between 2 and 3% and unemployment is at historical lows. Decidedly not still growth and, more to the point, consumer sentiment is also healthy.

People aren't feeling broke or pressured like they were 5 years ago. Lots of people have jobs again and are feeling more secure.  If it is getting to be a buyer's market, it isn't because of the economy right now. Cultural changes might make a difference, the aging baby boomers who might one day get past their "buy everything I couldn't have in 1969" phase, housing prices, or the fact that a lot fewer kids give a shit about guitars these days. High end historic reissues are really a collector/luxury market item and the market is slightly irrational, from an economics standpoint.

Archived