Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Going to see The Sweet tomorrow

A birthday present from my wife, we are both going to see good old glams The Sweet tomorrow. I have seen them only once in dark times sometimes in the 90s when it had Andy Scott and Mick Tucker as remaining originals. It was so bad that it had me away from listening to the music for a decade. Times have past and I enjoy the good old stuff again. My wife listened and went to participate in a ticket lottery of local radio last year. Since, unfortunately, this had not worked out, she decided to by tickets for a weekend event this year, so we could both go and enjoy. Eventually, it turned out to become a weekend trip for two. That’s going to be fun. I can’t wait... Fever Of Love or something like that. B)

The Sweet were a HUGE influence on me as a kid in the 70s....though not a conscious thing, their rock sensibilitycomes out in my originals. People tell me all the time My songs sound like the Sweet. I wish I had Brian’s voice for sure, but I loved their songs and crunchy guitar rhythms.

I think there are 2 versions of Sweet out there. I saw a couple of videos with the Original bass player version. It set me back on my heels . He has not aged well. 

2 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

In the 70s,

When he was young
He never needed anyone
And makin' love was just for fun
Those days are gone~ 😆

Singing again? 😂

12 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Remember this?

Fuchsi Fuchs, geh voran, komm sei schlau... 😄

Brian May never wrote a Badger On The Run, did he?

Stimulating myself for tonight at breakfast. It’s gotta be a Blockbuster. 🤩

9 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Was he all by himself?

He was promoting his first solo album I think.  The hit was that god awful "All By Myself" song.  Played all the good Raspberries stuff though.

Wonderful concert, wonderful trip!

The Sweet

The crowd was great. Lots of singalong and quite some people showcased glam style clothes. Even younger people in the audience. It was announced that they are going to change the main singer with the last four concerts of the leg, having both singers joining on stage as a handover. Love Is Like Oxygen had been dedicated to Brian Connolly and Mick Tucker. They'd played the long version, nicely modern fashioned in the long break part. Would certainly go again if they'd come close next time.

Before I forget, however, forgot about the song in particular, he pulled a Kahlert' Strat out for one song. The bubble gum songs had been medley'd in an acoustic set. Which turned out to be a nice solution. Yeah, and he still has his voice in the choruses. B)

On 5/17/2019 at 2:42 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Remember this?

I never heard this before even though Sweet has always rocked in my book. I love Scorpions too...Now I need to find that Action cover!

>>>>From Wiki...

"Fuchs geh' voran" is a German cover versionof the song with lyrics about a literal fox being chased by hunters to sell its fur. It was released as a single in 1975 by the German rock band Scorpions as The Hunters. The B-side also features a German cover version of another Sweet song, "Action", as "Wenn es richtig losgeht".

>>>

Sweet was a pivotal band in my teens- they were right behind KISS in terms of overall impact, as was evidenced by the fact that I had 3 of their 45 rpm singles- Ballroom Blitz, Fox On the Run and Action. Wore the needles out and the grooves flat playing those 45s. Funny thing is, once I eventually became bored w/ them, I played the B sides- Restless, Medusa, & Burn On the Flame and really started digging those, which was sort of unusual for me, then. Sadly, their career trajectory reached it's apex and nose dived when members died off before I could buy full length LPs or was old enough to see their shows with the original line up.

I'll be curious to hear how they sound now.

Little Willy and Ballroom Blitz Made me wanna play rock guitar ...Wig Wam Bam and Teenage Rampage were not far behind...and Fox On The Run was so perfectly pop.

The Sweet looked like such rockers when I was a kid but they played pop with cool guitar tones. I loved growing up in the 70s with the music we had.

5 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

The Sweet looked like such rockers when I was a kid but they played pop with cool guitar tones. I loved growing up in the 70s with the music we had.

I read an article about the Sweet and they were getting a LOT of pressure from the record co. to produce pop songs but they wanted to rock them out. Apparently, it was quite the battle for creative direction. I'd hedge a guess, based on their album Give Us a Wink being listed as "heavy metal" on wikipedia who eventually won out on that issue. 😆

Live, they had always played the hard part out. I think I have scored the 73 live CD one day. Sound quality is a bit odd. But what can you expect from a 73 concert recording of a rock band at the time? Actually, I have always liked that they put B-sides that weren't on the long players. Not always the case, but quite often. Give Us A Wink really is their peak (album) on the hard rock side. Love Is Like Oxygen I have always thought has been highly underrated. Even from today's perspective it had highly modern songs on it.

Ha, I'm still riding the wave... 🙂

Archived