Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1998 Fender Jeff Beck Stratocaster MIDNIGHT PURPLE

Well here is my "NEW" guitar day....................1998 Jeff Beck in the Midnight Purple finish. I had a Beck just like this one back in the day....................same year finish etc.,etc. but I sold it to finance another guitar and amp. Mistake! should have kept it like many others that pass through your life. I saw this one for sale and it was local so..................I knew I had to take a run at it to see if I could score it and as luck would have it I did. The guitar IS like new [Case also] its in stunning original condition and has the huge "BASE BALL BAT" neck these early Fender Jeff Beck Strats are known for. Gold Lace Sensors,Schaller locking tuners,LSR Roller nut,TBX,[Treble/Bass Expander] and all the case candy as well finish out the package The original owner was not a Strat guy as it turned out,and neither was the guy he sold it to and I got it from so this guitar spent much of it time in the case and it certainly shows. Its not a "New" guitar per say.....................but new to me  and in the best condition you could want a guitar to be in. Have a look                                        its purple and I'm from MINNESOTA, but it was NOT owned by PRINCE!;) eHxkyFD.jpgY1Cqd4x.jpg

Best version of that model ever, right there!

Thanks guys! it is a wonderful guitar and it is just like the other I owned so long ago..........................curious as to the color name, "MIDNIGHT PURPLE" as the finish isn't a  dark hue of purple.........................actually closer to a "Lilac" or the old vintage  Fender "Burgundy Mist" color. The  original owner of the guitar choose the Fender "Red Label" molded form fitting case instead of the "Tweed" case these normally come with. [As did the "Strat Plus" guitars] Its a less bulky case,easier to carry and offers excellent protection.................like the guitar its crazy clean inside and out. Its great to have one of these back again.................in this color and condition it's a uncommon guitar................I'm certainly enjoying the ownership.:wub::)

WOW Gary, that's a real beauty.

I personally hadn't seen a JB in that color, but I like it a lot.

I'm really confused about this purchase.

I thought because of retirement, you were getting rid of guitars.

I guess you couldn't retire from buying guitars.

Anyway, congrats on a KILLER score.

When I bought my 1993 Limited Edition Strat, I sure thought the color was something special, though I originally wanted one in "ocean turquoise", but then got one in "midnight purple". Purple wasn't a regular Fender color then.

Strat_Marshall.jpg

20 minutes ago, Texsunburst59 said:

WOW Gary, that's a real beauty.

I personally hadn't seen a JB in that color, but I like it a lot.

I'm really confused about this purchase.

I thought because of retirement, you were getting rid of guitars.

I guess you couldn't retire from buying guitars.

Anyway, congrats on a KILLER score.

Hi Skip, And thank you! Regarding retirement [Couple months to go!] yeah that is true about guitars.........................but when this one showed up in this condition and having known what a great guitar this was I HAD to make a play [No pun intended.;)] for it as something like this does not come up often..................certainly not in this fine condition.  I still have great health at 66 and I intend to enjoy this one for a long time to come.:)

10 minutes ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

When I bought my 1993 Limited Edition Strat, I sure thought the color was something special, though I originally wanted one in "ocean turquoise", but then got one in "midnight purple". Purple wasn't a regular Fender color then.

Strat_Marshall.jpg

That is one fine looking Strat! Beautiful! :wub:Thanks for sharing that!:)

That one didn't get much playtime. I bought it when it came out in 1993, but it spent most of the time in it's case. Just recently I rediscovered it and it doesn't sound that bad. What made those guitars special then, was that they used some colors that were not used for the regular models (it was available in Antique Burst, Montego Black, Vintage White, Candy Green, Frost Red, Burgundy Mist, Ocean Turquoise and Midnight Purple) and they had Texas Specials (which were used only on the SRV Strat then). Also it was the first time that the "American Standard" was available with gold hardware then. I loved "the Strat" back then, so I had to have one of those.

1 hour ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Hi Skip, And thank you! Regarding retirement [Couple months to go!] yeah that is true about guitars.........................but when this one showed up in this condition and having known what a great guitar this was I HAD to make a play [No pun intended.;)] for it as something like this does not come up often..................certainly not in this fine condition.  I still have great health at 66 and I intend to enjoy this one for a long time to come.:)

Ok.

Yea retirement doesn't having to mean passing up a KILLER guitar like that.

You're supposed to enjoy retirement as much as you can, and if this makes it way more enjoyable, then you deserve it.

Congrats again on a killer score!

NICE!!! I don't see why Fender doesn't put the TBX on more guitars. It's a great control!   What does the little push button control do, split the bridge pickup?

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

NICE!!! I don't see why Fender doesn't put the TBX on more guitars. It's a great control!   What does the little push button control do, split the bridge pickup?

The push button takes one of Dual Gold  Lace Sensors in the bridge position out of the circuit...................... that is It turns off the rear Gold Lace Sensor.:)

Here is a link to the history of the Fender Jeff Beck along with the Fender "Strat Plus" model which this guitar obviously was based on. Cool site and this guy has many great looking and rare Fender Stratocasters. https://xhefriguitars.com/page2.html

What the ---? I've never seen a "roller nut" before. Does it actually work well? And if it does, why aren't these on all guitars with non-locking vibratos?

On 5/20/2019 at 9:32 PM, FGJ said:

What the ---? I've never seen a "roller nut" before. Does it actually work well? And if it does, why aren't these on all guitars with non-locking vibratos?

IT DOES work really well! The guitar stays in perfect tune thanks to the roller nut  and locking tuners and with it having the BIG neck profile.Beck actually prefers the Trev Wilkinson design roller nut which came on the early model Jeff Beck Artist series guitars................ and also used first on the Fender Strat Plus. The strings glide along on these little ball bearings.The Wilkinson.then LSR.RJ17mWK.jpgY1Cqd4x.jpg?1

On 5/20/2019 at 7:32 PM, FGJ said:

What the ---? I've never seen a "roller nut" before. Does it actually work well? 

It sucks when you're soloing fast and then the bearing seizes causing an awful screeching sound then catching the neck on fire 😆... no but seriously, they work great~

12 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Did you mean Strat Plus Deluxe? I’m not familiar with a “Plus Plus.” I’m familiar with the Strat Plus Deluxe which came with both the LSR and Schaller roller nuts as well as TBX tone system and Lace Sensors  (I own one of these), and then there’s the current production Deluxe Strat Plus models which are a completely different beast. 

Oh, I was just making a new name. I used to have a Plus Deluxe. This one's even cooler though!

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:36 AM, bruce919 said:

does anyone know where you can buy one the pushbuttons used to split the coils? I am sure it a standard catalog electronic item.

One would think it is a standard catalog item, but if it is, I can't find it.

All the parts are available,

Switch=002-0803-000

Cap= 002-2602-049

Block=003-8462-000

Now all you need is a FMIC parts house and a wire diagram.

p.s. I found everything on eBay except the diagram.

Archived