Hamer Fan Club Message Center

90s Hamer Special Colors

PS4 FTW

Question

10 answers to this question

The fifth photo looks like the 'normal' regular TV Yellow color (or Hamer's version of it) that Hamer used on a good number of their Specials.  The other photos, well...either the color balance on that camera is WAY off and the light was playing tricks on the camera's computer brain (which gets my vote, since the fifth photo looks like the correct color), or the color on that particular guitar somehow went WAY past the typical light-ish 'Baby Poop Yellow' (actually, a mustard-colored yellow with a hint of green) that most of Hamer's TV Yellow Specials tended to age into, to 'Road-Worker Fluorescent Yellow-Green'.  I've not seen one go to that shade of yellow-green before, it's conceivable that somebody might have had it painted that color long after it left Hamer, too. 

IIRC, the 'standard' colors for Hamer Specials in the 1990's were Tobacco Sunburst, TV Yellow, and Transparent Cherry; but I have seen a couple in factory metallic Red and regular glossy Black, and there may have been other colors, too.

Edited to add: The bricks in the background on the fifth photo look more 'normal' to me, and a shade of red I'd expect bricks to be.  In the other photos, the bricks look like a duller color of red to me.  Again, I'm thinking it's a 'color balance' issue.

Some of the TV Yellow finishes were yellow.  Some were more greenish.  That photo makes me think the finish is TV yellow with the camera messing up the color.  Otherwise, that would be a cool looking green. 

Specials were white, cherry red, TV yellow, sunburst black over yellow, black, and natural. 

1993 had thin necks.  They possibly got thicker toward the end of 1993, and definitely had a nice medium thickness by 1994. 

Minibuckers in that era special are a great idea.  I did that to one of mine and it makes it a great grab 'n' go guitar, since you have far fewer worries about hum/buzz infested environments.  Actually, i like the "miles off" fluorescent green.  I'd do my pasty white folk singer thing with it in a heartbeat.

12 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

Minibuckers in that era special are a great idea.  I did that to one of mine and it makes it a great grab 'n' go guitar, since you have far fewer worries about hum/buzz infested environments.  Actually, i like the "miles off" fluorescent green.  I'd do my pasty white folk singer thing with it in a heartbeat.

I've been thinking of putting a pair of Johnny Winter Firebird picks ups in my '92. I actually like the thin neck, but the P90s are a little noisy for me.

I had a feeling the green special was too good to be true. 🤣

On 5/19/2019 at 4:47 PM, specialk said:

$1108 with shipping thrown in. Looks like an expensive Special. And I think a '93 could have a thinnish neck on it. 

some had the medium Vintage carve..I have one .. nice medium.. I have measurements some where. The one in my id is the 93 I reference.

Archived