Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2003 Hamer Korina Special

Somebody might want to pick this up... looks like it would be a cool little rockin guitar~

Hamer Special Korina 2003 Butterscotch natural USA (Custom shop?) https://reverb.com/item/24115505-hamer-special-korina-2003-butterscotch-natural-usa-custom-shop?_aid=pla&utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

1 hour ago, Jakeboy said:

I’ve never seen one with buckers....

Me either... I think it's pretty cool though, I think I've also seen this one listed on Reverb before... maybe last year-ish... I do have a question to him, asking if he knows if it's factory humbuckers or if someone routed out the P90s

48 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

I do have a question to him, asking if he knows if it's factory humbuckers or if someone routed out the P90s

Annnnnnd this was his answer~

Hi, 
It came from the factory with humbuckers. Most Korina specials have P90s. This is a rare exception. It is likely to have been custom ordered. The guitar player from No Doubt has one just like this, but that is the only other one that I have seen. 
Thanks for asking and let me know if you have other questions, 
Aaron

In 1996 the local music store got three korina Specials made between the 1995 Standards and the 1997 Vectors.  Each of the three had covered humbuckers, gold hardware, no pickguard, and a natural finish.  Mine was made with a dual concentric tone knob to give each pickup its own tone control.  The control cavity plates were signed by everyone in the Hamer shop.  Each individual plate only has a different subset of all the signatures. 

The korina Specials resonate differently from mahogany Specials. 

The Special in the Reverb listing has a Hamer Phantom image on the control cavity plate.  Someone in the HFC owned that guitar. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 12:46 AM, Dave Scepter said:

Did you? 😆

It can be revealed that I did, now the irrational fear of jinxing the delivery has passed... It's an absolutely fascinating guitar. Spanky and snappy because of the Korina and the aluminium wraptail, and, as might befit an originally custom order (if that's what the skeleton graphic on the control plate means), it's far and away the lightest Hamer I've ever handled, out of maybe a dozen. Easily under 7lb without even having an armrest, belly-cut or chambering. Being a Special presumably explains why the neck angle differs from a Korina Jr, with the effect that the pickups are equally deeply set and the bottom of the wraptail is almost flush with the body. The condition was pretty much NOS; it's had 8 gauge strings on, which may explain the very low fret wear. I'm normally not a fan of the SD JB/59 pickups, but they really work well here. Things are well. :) 

20190604_073437.png

Archived