Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ultex vs Gravity Pick ~ vid with Hamer content ;)

So a few years back I jumped on the Gravity Pick bandwagon... Eventually, I went back to the Ultexes I'd used before, but the other day I stumbled across some of my old GPs.  Thought I'd see how they compare back to back over a lame iPhone vid. 😛 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Playing with the Gravity Pick makes the notes sound more distinct.  It does seem like the playing is a bit smoother with the Ultex pick. 

True.  There is (for me, anyway) a pretty big adjustment from the 1.14 mm Ultex and the 2+ mm Gravity Pick, which also has a much smaller grip area.  And since I hadn’t used it in a couple years, I did find it harder to play with the Gravity Pick for this vid. 

The Ultex: Rawk. The GP: R&B/Jazz, if I can dumb it down like that? The Ultex has that, "snap", that is so important for rhythm strums. The Gravity Pick sounded rounder and, "hi-fi", for lack of a better description.

I have finally laid down my beloved JazzIIIs for Ultex Black 1mm sharps. A customer of Brawer is in State Line Empire and the dude gave me a bag of his custom picks. Easier to hold and I find I'm not overdriving the strings like I do with the Dunlops. They impart a very nice tone, so far so good.

2 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

It really is cool how just the slightest variation in material, shape and size can affect the tone.

Everything matters.  That’s both a burden and a delight, IMO.

20 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Eric Johnson asked me to tell you that he heard you playing and thinks you need to go back to the JazzIIIs.

Oh, yeah? Eric can go pull his Johnson for all I care. 

On 5/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Similarly with V-Picks, their original pick is my pick of choice, because it seems to strike the string in a way that note bloom brings a nice full bottom, and has more high frequency detail and a real chime to the top end vs all the other pics I've used, even against the other V-Picks they make. They all really sound different.  I use a mix of V-Picks, Tortex and others depending on what style or mood I'm in.

Picks are fun addiction, and an affordable one!

So what does EJ think?

On 5/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, RobB said:

The Ultex: Rawk. The GP: R&B/Jazz, if I can dumb it down like that? The Ultex has that, "snap", that is so important for rhythm strums. The Gravity Pick sounded rounder and, "hi-fi", for lack of a better description.

I have finally laid down my beloved JazzIIIs for Ultex Black 1mm sharps. A customer of Brawer is in State Line Empire and the dude gave me a bag of his custom picks. Easier to hold and I find I'm not overdriving the strings like I do with the Dunlops. They impart a very nice tone, so far so good.

I concur. I find with the GP I can just fly across the strings...seemingly no friction at all..but they sound is too smooth...no rock and roll there...but I want to like them. .but the Ultex picks simply have a great sound and are almost as slippery on the strings.

Strangely enough, the last 6 months I have been using Herco Holy Grails. They last forever and just sound like blues-rock. More friction on the strings so it slows things down a bit, feel-wise, but damn they do sound good.

Archived