Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NHD - Stike's magic on an old Blitz

2 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Quite a bit off topic but I'd have gladly shagged Shirley Jones and Susan Dey together, back in the Dey. Actually, I was likely a bit too young to be doing that back in the early 70's....

Heh, back in the Dey!

(couldn't resist)

1 minute ago, DaveH said:

Heh, back in the Dey!

(couldn't resist)

Yeah, I thought that, too but decided to leave it alone... ;)

1 hour ago, Never2Late said:

Would you believe it took two years and (I can imagine) a ball of Painter's Tape the size of Mt. Rushmore?

The metalflake is actually a colorless (silver) basecoat.  Each color, whitespace panel, and gridlines were applied in layers atop the metalflake - I let Stike lay it out, as there were a variety of geometric issues with the edges-sides-neck he had to figure out to keep the pattern coherent.  My photos don't do the detail of the neck and sides justice.

So, what was the inspiration for this design?

34 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

So, what was the inspiration for this design?

I listened to a LOT of Joe Satriani in college, and I dug the whole concept behind his Ibanez guitar artwork.  My understanding was, he would give his stock guitars to local artists and have them 'do their thing', and put many iconic designs on them.  Much of those designs went-on to inspire the line of Dimarzio Joe Satriani guitar straps....

When I bought the Blitz, I was having the artwork done for the Patrick Nagel Hamer Chap in California, and an area Luthier who was helping me with that project was married to an Artist who did some work in the corner of his guitar workshop.  I really liked her stuff, so I asked him if I just painted the Blitz white, would his wife be interested in doing something with it.  We talked about it for awhile, but she wasn't interested (???).  I still wanted to do an 'art' guitar somehow.

I paid a visit to BCR Guitars a couple of years back to see what Uncle Greg was up-to....I found a Piet Mondrian guitar strap hanging in the store and bought it.  I contacted Stike, since he had the skill and patience to pull-off a hand-painted checkerboard design, asked him if he wanted to do something crazy and do a Mondrian scheme.  He suggested the incorporation of metalflake.  I explained the 'randomness' of the geometric pattern and color placement, with the grid borders for the random orientation of blocks and their dimensions - I let him lay the pattern down and gave him the creative freedom to decide the color and block orientation.  He absolutely KILLED it. 

I wasn't sure about the metalflake, but when I saw some of the interim photos, I was sold.  The first colors 'down' were the silver, white, and blue and they were so killer I almost had him stop there and just clear-coat it.  But then the red and yellow went down, and the grid-lines.....which wrap over the beveled edges and continue the pattern along the sides.

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Dibs.

Winner!

5 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Yeah, it really looks outstanding! This guitar rally is something to look at! Again amazing work from @Stike

Fixed! As I haven't seen any non amazing work from @Stike on this board.

Good God man!.. a hockey stick sustain block Blitz?.. that's totally badass!.. I'm done with buying guitars nowadays however, I might make an exception if a original sustain block hockey stick Blitz pops up :unsure:

6 hours ago, Never2Late said:

I listened to a LOT of Joe Satriani in college, and I dug the whole concept behind his Ibanez guitar artwork.  My understanding was, he would give his stock guitars to local artists and have them 'do their thing', and put many iconic designs on them.  Much of those designs went-on to inspire the line of Dimarzio Joe Satriani guitar straps....

When I bought the Blitz, I was having the artwork done for the Patrick Nagel Hamer Chap in California, and an area Luthier who was helping me with that project was married to an Artist who did some work in the corner of his guitar workshop.  I really liked her stuff, so I asked him if I just painted the Blitz white, would his wife be interested in doing something with it.  We talked about it for awhile, but she wasn't interested (???).  I still wanted to do an 'art' guitar somehow.

I paid a visit to BCR Guitars a couple of years back to see what Uncle Greg was up-to....I found a Piet Mondrian guitar strap hanging in the store and bought it.  I contacted Stike, since he had the skill and patience to pull-off a hand-painted checkerboard design, asked him if he wanted to do something crazy and do a Mondrian scheme.  He suggested the incorporation of metalflake.  I explained the 'randomness' of the geometric pattern and color placement, with the grid borders for the random orientation of blocks and their dimensions - I let him lay the pattern down and gave him the creative freedom to decide the color and block orientation.  He absolutely KILLED it. 

I wasn't sure about the metalflake, but when I saw some of the interim photos, I was sold.  The first colors 'down' were the silver, white, and blue and they were so killer I almost had him stop there and just clear-coat it.  But then the red and yellow went down, and the grid-lines.....which wrap over the beveled edges and continue the pattern along the sides.

No shit! Huh, I was right about Piet Mondrian. Whataya know. Guess that bachelors and two masters degrees in art and art educ. are now validated. :P 

Yeah, Stike's the man, even with seemingly simpler pieces like this Cent he did for me. But it's flawless and his sense of design re: the flake size is spot on.

image.png

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

No shit! Huh, I was right about Piet Mondrian. Whataya know. Guess that bachelors and two masters degrees in art and art educ. are now validated. :P 

Yeah, Stike's the man, even with seemingly simpler pieces like this Cent he did for me. But it's flawless and his sense of design re: the flake size is spot on.

image.png

Holy crap. I love that!

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, HAMERMAN said:

I recently had to retire my Van Halen mailbox since it was rusting away so I  decided it was time to make one that my wife would like. 

OldS.jpg

NewS.jpg

Partridge Family?

45 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Partridge Family?

Yup. To my wife it's more about reminding her of her childhood when her and her best friend would listen to 45's. It's not like she listens to them all the time or anything but then again at this point you can probably say the same thing with regards to me and the Van Halen mailbox - it was more about reminding me that I love fun rock music than it was about me being Van Halen obsessed. We have already decided that the next one will be LED Zeppelin themed as that's one of the few bands that me, my wife and both daughters can all agree on. :-)

On 5/27/2019 at 5:54 AM, diablo175 said:

Quite a bit off topic but I'd have gladly shagged Shirley Jones and Susan Dey together, back in the day. Actually, I was likely a bit too young to be doing that back in the early 70's....

Lol.... I think I would have done David too - I mean look at that hair and those smokey eyes.... he’s calling out to me like Kip Winger....

Archived