Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
Texsunburst59

'89 MIJ Charvel Flamed Amber 750 XL

Recommended Posts

I really wasn't on the lookout for a pointy headstock 80's guitar, but at the price I got this for, it really was a no brainer.

These guitars were only made for one year, and they're pretty sought after.

The Amber color is the most sought after color, so I guess I lucked out on that.

This is a mahogany body with a maple cap, so it makes it about the same weight as a Les Paul.

The neck on this is amazingly comfortable and fast, and with the contoured set neck, it give killer access to the upper frets.

The pickups are OK for now, but I will upgrade them in the future.

47952982882_1ab5f0e9f7_b.jpg
47953035971_02d0da4092_b.jpg
47953001502_af2fbc07fb_b.jpg

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That's a particularly fetching example of a well-executed shredder.

I recall telling a vintage guitar nut friend of mine back around late '92 that MIJ Charvels would remembered fondly once the grunge fad died out and the vintage guitar hysteria settled down. At that time, it seemed like lots of lads had lost their marbles.  Anything--even polished turds--from the '50s and early/mid '60s were selling for princely sums. PRS Dragons were selling for enough jack to buy a new Toyota 4x4. The same middle-aged guys lusting over 'bursts and "anything-pre-CBS-Fender" were dissing '70s Fenders, Norlin-era Gibsons, and figuratively shit upon anything made in Japan.  I still rub elbows with a couple of such gents, and my, how their views on upper range '80s MIJ and '70s Gibsons and Fenders have changed. 

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                                                      I have seen that make and model guitar perform MANY times!:) That is a Beauty and RARE!!!!:wub:..........................If you tell me you got that for 100 Bucks I'm coming down there!..................................... tomorrow!:lol:  Shawn Lane used one of those with great results!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

                                                      I have seen that make and model guitar perform MANY times!:) That is a Beauty and RARE!!!!:wub:..........................If you tell me you got that for 100 Bucks I'm coming down there!..................................... tomorrow!:lol:  Shawn Lane used one of those with great results!

 

That's too funny Gary. Haha!

I didn't really steal this one.

 

The were asking $500 for it, and it had just come out 1 hr. before I got there.

I did a quick search on the Jackson Charvel forum and Reverb.

After reading several threads and looking at several Reverb ads, I realized how rare and expensive these were.

I tried my best to get them to come down, but they wouldn't budge.

The guitar didn't come with a case, but I got them to throw in a Road Runner padded case.

I think $500 is still a pretty good price for this guitar.

I'm Happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

                                             Congrats Skip!...........................$500.00? !................... you STILL stole that guitar!:).....................case or no case! This is a VERY hard to find model Charvel and in that color your right it's the one to have IF you can find one that is.WOW! I'm impressed................... and glad you moved on it or it WOULD have been gone for sure.................. again Congrats! Love it!:wub:             https://reverb.com/item/7053376-charvel-750xl-1989-transparent-amber

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

@Texsunburst59 Any damage/repair on the upper horn? Right where the top meets the back? 

No.

There's not damage at all.

Are these guitars prone to damage in that area?

The whole guitar body is in perfect condition as far as any crack, dents, gouges.

It only has a few small scratched on the back of the guitar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Helluva score, man!!!

giphy.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

That's a particularly fetching example of a well-executed shredder.

I recall telling a vintage guitar nut friend of mine back around late '92 that MIJ Charvels would remembered fondly once the grunge fad died out and the vintage guitar hysteria settled down. At that time, it seemed like lots of lads had lost their marbles.  Anything--even polished turds--from the '50s and early/mid '60s were selling for princely sums. PRS Dragons were selling for enough jack to buy a new Toyota 4x4. The same middle-aged guys lusting over 'bursts and "anything-pre-CBS-Fender" were dissing '70s Fenders, Norlin-era Gibsons, and figuratively shit upon anything made in Japan.  I still rub elbows with a couple of such gents, and my, how their views on upper range '80s MIJ and '70s Gibsons and Fenders have changed. 

                                     Closest guitar I had to something like that was a a MInt and I mean Mint................. [Case also ]was a Fender Heartfield Elan III......................which I bought from as music store for $500.00, it WAS a very cool guitar.After a year or so...............closer to 2 thinking about it I sold it for double what I paid for it to a buyer that was searching a long time for one.Fender Japan made some cool guitars that were really well made.

Edited by ARM OF HAMER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SAVE THE STOCK PICKUP CAPS!!  That era of Jackson in-house humbucker rings are very oversized and any replacement pickup, even a covered EMG, will have airspace between it and the ring. The caps conceal double-black bobbin humbuckers and the caps are held on via a glue gun glob. Make sure your replacement pus fit the stock caps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

SAVE THE STOCK PICKUP CAPS!!  That era of Jackson in-house humbucker rings are very oversized and any replacement pickup, even a covered EMG, will have airspace between it and the ring. The caps conceal double-black bobbin humbuckers and the caps are held on via a glue gun glob. Make sure your replacement pus fit the stock caps.

Thanks for the heads up Jeff.

I really appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very cool guitars and an excellent score. I had 3 at one point, two had consecutive serial numbers, all 3 were string thru bridges. At $500 I’d buy that all day long. 

If you ever need replacement pickup rings, budman on the JCF makes replacement parts for those that are higher quality than OEM. I’ve got one of his rings on my 650xl. 

 

F0B83E49-DCCC-4A98-B188-3065A34D50B4.jpeg

Edited by Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

No.

There's not damage at all.

Are these guitars prone to damage in that area?

The whole guitar body is in perfect condition as far as any crack, dents, gouges.

It only has a few small scratched on the back of the guitar.

 

2 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

No.

There's not damage at all.

Are these guitars prone to damage in that area?

The whole guitar body is in perfect condition as far as any crack, dents, gouges.

It only has a few small scratched on the back of the guitar.

I used to have one exactly like it. I got it from the original owner back in 96. His strap came off at a gig and he caught it with his foot, just the upper bought tapped the ground. I had it filled and leveled, the guy did a great job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Travis said:

Very cool guitars and an excellent score. I had 3 at one point, two had consecutive serial numbers, all 3 were string thru bridges. At $500 I’d buy that all day long. 

If you ever need replacement pickup rings, budman on the JCF makes replacement parts for those that are higher quality than OEM. I’ve got one of his rings on my 650xl. 

 

F0B83E49-DCCC-4A98-B188-3065A34D50B4.jpeg

If mine had been strung through, I might still have it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

If mine had been strung through, I might still have it. 

They really are absolutely killer guitars. I’ve contemplated finding another one some time. Just add them to my list of cool guitars I should have never unloaded...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Travis said:

They really are absolutely killer guitars. I’ve contemplated finding another one some time. Just add them to my list of cool guitars I should have never unloaded...

Just like the rest of those guitars, its going to cost you twice as much. LOL The Jackson Soloist Archtop just keeps going up, so these tend to be what people "Settle" for. They also had a Jackson Fusion Archtop, it wasn't neck through, but it was cool. 

Did you see they brough back the Fusion Pink Color? My local store has a Charvel in that color. I had a Charvel Fusion and my 750xl for the longest time. Then I just fell out of love with Trems and never went back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Just like the rest of those guitars, its going to cost you twice as much. LOL The Jackson Soloist Archtop just keeps going up, so these tend to be what people "Settle" for. They also had a Jackson Fusion Archtop, it wasn't neck through, but it was cool. 

Did you see they brough back the Fusion Pink Color? My local store has a Charvel in that color. I had a Charvel Fusion and my 750xl for the longest time. Then I just fell out of love with Trems and never went back. 

In my opinion, the 750xl was superior to the Jackson soloist archtop, at least the 1990 MIJ pro version. The 750xl had a thicker mahogany body, basically the same thickness as the body and maple top on the Jackson, and then added the maple top. They weren’t light guitars but they sounded great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

 

I used to have one exactly like it. I got it from the original owner back in 96. His strap came off at a gig and he caught it with his foot, just the upper bought tapped the ground. I had it filled and leveled, the guy did a great job. 

OK.

I just didn't know where the question was coming from

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

If mine had been strung through, I might still have it. 

WOW!!!

All 3 a killer guitars, but the one in middle with the zebra pickups, was a real beauty.

That's a killer looking trio you had Travis.

Also, thanks for heads up for budman on JFC.

That info could definitely come in handy one of these day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Texsunburst59 said:

WOW!!!

All 3 a killer guitars, but the one in middle with the zebra pickups, was a real beauty.

That's a killer looking trio you had Travis.

Also, thanks for heads up for budman on JFC.

That info could definitely come in handy one of these day.

Yeah the one in the middle had the best top. That one and the trans red were sequential serial numbers. But the cherry Sunburst on the right with the more subtle top was the sickest player of the bunch. It was also the first one that I got. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Travis said:

They really are absolutely killer guitars. I’ve contemplated finding another one some time. Just add them to my list of cool guitars I should have never unloaded...

This is why I try so VERY hard to never unload a great guitar.

I don't want to have to regret it in the future.

Some guitars can never be replaced, and I never want to have to go there.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...