Hamer Fan Club Message Center

A loving wife and a sad story

This is a story posted by a Facebook friend. He was a classmate of mine in Bible college from the '70s. When he graduated he became a career pastor (he has the heart of a pastor as I never had). He recently retired, moved to California, and now works the floor at a Guitar Center. I first met him nearly 50 years ago in school and he had always sung and played guitar. He would definitely know what he's doing at GC. Here is his FB post today about a Guitar Center experience:

"This afternoon I sold a guitar to a woman in her 40's who has decided to learn to play. In fact, before she left the store she had her first guitar lesson. Her reason for wanting to learn is that her husband is dying of cancer. It's been years since he played guitar, so she brought his guitar in to have a restring. She decided--for the remainder of his life--that they are going to play guitar together. It's something they talked about for many years but never took the time. Now she is determined to do this for him in hopes it will give him comfort and pleasure as he faces death.

When you consider all the jokes and memes about husbands vs. wives vs. the husbands' guitar obsessions, this is certainly something touchingly different.

Call me a pessimist, but she had forever to do this, it sounds like she now feels guilty and it is more about her than him.

My wife used to talk about it as well.  I bought her a guitar, a DVD lesson class.  Sat with her and demonstrated, but she never practiced.  It's been twelve years and she still can't play a G chord, don't come to me on my death bed and pretend you're doing me a favor. 

17 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

He recently retired, moved to California, and now works the floor at a Guitar Center.

This is actually the saddest part of the story. I wonder if he's on board with GC lingo:

Purchase Deemed “Pretty Sick” by Guitar Center Employee

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/purchase-deemed-pretty-sick-by-guitar-center-employee/

1 hour ago, MCChris said:

This is actually the saddest part of the story. I wonder if he's on board with GC lingo:

Purchase Deemed “Pretty Sick” by Guitar Center Employee

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/purchase-deemed-pretty-sick-by-guitar-center-employee/

I remember him more as an acoustic-oriented folkie. Here he is with the trio he'd played in off and on going back to 1972. That's him in the middle:

spacer.png

He's about 67 now and I doubt that he goes for head-banging or Millennial jargon. He was definitely the right sales guy for the female customer with the terminal husband.

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I remember him more as an acoustic-oriented folkie. Here he is with the trio he'd played in off and on going back to 1972. That's him in the middle:

spacer.png

He's about 67 now and I doubt that he goes for head-banging or Millennial jargon. He was definitely the right sales guy for the female customer with the terminal husband.

From your description he certainly was. 

14 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Call me a pessimist, but she had forever to do this, it sounds like she now feels guilty and it is more about her than him.

My wife used to talk about it as well.  I bought her a guitar, a DVD lesson class.  Sat with her and demonstrated, but she never practiced.  It's been twelve years and she still can't play a G chord, don't come to me on my death bed and pretend you're doing me a favor. 

0980096C-EBB5-464B-A899-97FAC3E61252.png

Archived