Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
JohnnyB

A loving wife and a sad story

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This is a story posted by a Facebook friend. He was a classmate of mine in Bible college from the '70s. When he graduated he became a career pastor (he has the heart of a pastor as I never had). He recently retired, moved to California, and now works the floor at a Guitar Center. I first met him nearly 50 years ago in school and he had always sung and played guitar. He would definitely know what he's doing at GC. Here is his FB post today about a Guitar Center experience:

"This afternoon I sold a guitar to a woman in her 40's who has decided to learn to play. In fact, before she left the store she had her first guitar lesson. Her reason for wanting to learn is that her husband is dying of cancer. It's been years since he played guitar, so she brought his guitar in to have a restring. She decided--for the remainder of his life--that they are going to play guitar together. It's something they talked about for many years but never took the time. Now she is determined to do this for him in hopes it will give him comfort and pleasure as he faces death.

When you consider all the jokes and memes about husbands vs. wives vs. the husbands' guitar obsessions, this is certainly something touchingly different.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very touching.  

but in the usual course of business:

zzue7g635x031.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

Very touching.  

but in the usual course of business:

zzue7g635x031.jpg

54.  Don't read her this chart and go "Sexist, but kinda true.  Amirite?"

 

I'm off to the couch for tonight, team!  :D 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing - sounds like they will make the best of their remaining time together.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if my wife will ever clean a snake cage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Call me a pessimist, but she had forever to do this, it sounds like she now feels guilty and it is more about her than him.

My wife used to talk about it as well.  I bought her a guitar, a DVD lesson class.  Sat with her and demonstrated, but she never practiced.  It's been twelve years and she still can't play a G chord, don't come to me on my death bed and pretend you're doing me a favor. 

Edited by Studio Custom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Call me a pessimist ...

No one should ever call you a pessimist. You're simply a cynic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

He recently retired, moved to California, and now works the floor at a Guitar Center.

This is actually the saddest part of the story. I wonder if he's on board with GC lingo:

Purchase Deemed “Pretty Sick” by Guitar Center Employee

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/purchase-deemed-pretty-sick-by-guitar-center-employee/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MCChris said:

This is actually the saddest part of the story. I wonder if he's on board with GC lingo:

Purchase Deemed “Pretty Sick” by Guitar Center Employee

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/purchase-deemed-pretty-sick-by-guitar-center-employee/

I remember him more as an acoustic-oriented folkie. Here he is with the trio he'd played in off and on going back to 1972. That's him in the middle:

spacer.png

He's about 67 now and I doubt that he goes for head-banging or Millennial jargon. He was definitely the right sales guy for the female customer with the terminal husband.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I remember him more as an acoustic-oriented folkie. Here he is with the trio he'd played in off and on going back to 1972. That's him in the middle:

spacer.png

He's about 67 now and I doubt that he goes for head-banging or Millennial jargon. He was definitely the right sales guy for the female customer with the terminal husband.

From your description he certainly was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Call me a pessimist, but she had forever to do this, it sounds like she now feels guilty and it is more about her than him.

My wife used to talk about it as well.  I bought her a guitar, a DVD lesson class.  Sat with her and demonstrated, but she never practiced.  It's been twelve years and she still can't play a G chord, don't come to me on my death bed and pretend you're doing me a favor. 

 

0980096C-EBB5-464B-A899-97FAC3E61252.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cary said:

 

0980096C-EBB5-464B-A899-97FAC3E61252.png

Which is shocking, given his documented record of success in the marriage game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...