Hamer Fan Club Message Center

“Dr. Bear” TLE

In ‘86 Jol Dantzig made a custom TLE for me. It was — still is, in memory — my favorite guitar. It is absurdly easy to recognise as Hamer put my nickname, “Dr. Bear”,  on the headstock.  

Unhappily, a family member required surgical procedures not covered by her insurance; to raise the money I sold my guitars (and several lovingly maintained Wurlitzer EPs, a suitcase Rhodes, and heaven knows what else). A few months back I found a photograph taken on stage where I am holding that Hamer and the longing to play it again is just so intense, reminding  me of some of the happiest years of my life.

I have hunted up and down on the net hoping to find the current owner so that I might offer to buy the “Dr. Bear” TLE from him or her.

Though I have come up short, a friend told me that years ago he saw a post referencing that guitar on the HFC site. I would love to get in contact with the person who posted it so I can make them an offer to buy this guitar that was originally built for me.  

I have traded emails with Jol — what a wonderful man! — but as he does not replicate older models I am left trying to find the original guitar. If you have any wisdom to share, any sage counsel, I would be most grateful.

I can, of course, upload the photo of me with the guitar but my nickname, “Dr. Bear”, on the headstock should make the instrument immediately recognizable to anyone who has seen it up close. Fingers crossed....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone had it in 2001, with changed pickups apparently:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ampworkshop/hamer-tle-anyone-else-play-one-t2412.html

Dec 18, 2001#3

Don't give up!
I've got an '86 TLE that I enjoy greatly. It has the hardtail (Sustainblock) bridge and what seems to be a series/paralell switch added (previous owner..not sure if it was a factory job...) Originally had OBL rail-humbucker singles and a JB in the bridge, but has undergone some pickup experimentation--currently the JB bridge, a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage in the neck and a 3 position switch (Mini switch as a coil-tap)
Mine's a 'burst (probably their '59 burst) and has a pretty nice flame when viewed up close. Plus, it says "DR. BEAR" on the headstock, so it may have been a bit of a custom job! Dunno.
It's always sounded just a bit bright to me. I'm still looking for the right neck pickup (or the right amp smile.gif )
I'm a big fan of Hamer guitars in general. My TLE is one of my favorite necks I've played (especially in a sitting position--the body supports it at just the right angle!)
If you haven't been there, check out
www.hamerfanclub.com
lots of great guitars and great people...
Glad to know I'm not alone, either!
Best Wishes

I don't think '59 Burst' was a color in 86? Not sure.
Good luck with your quest.

30 minutes ago, Bass Guy Dave said:

Welcome to the HFC... let's see if we can make something happen for you.  :)

1559414087381430169466.jpg

Yay!.. I love happy endings!.. & it looks like he's been taking really good care of it... crap now I'm getting all emotional, teary-eyed and shit~😢

Oh my!  I feel like asking if it remembers me after all these years and how it likes different pickups it’s met. 

I know you’ll think I’m insane but I’m remembering visiting Hamer in Arlington Heights (?) and seeing my namesake as yet unfinished, the body resting on a workbench next to others meant for Rick Nielsen and (I think) Billy Gibbons.

Do you think the current owner would sell it to me? How can I get in touch with him or her?

I’m going to try to upload the only photo I’ve got to make sure this isn’t some otherworldly coincidence. 

Here am I with Dr. Bear in hand in the late '80s on stage with  a young fan posing with my long-time friend (a great lead vocalist who, not incidentally, had worked for Jol Dantzig at Hamer). I know the photo is so reddish that one cannot see colors aright but it's the only one I have of Dr. Bear.

2073298173_Dr.Bearonstagewithfan.jpg.9ffc60b4f5ab854a8fe2b5e5e41bd28a.jpg

Loving this story!D31AFA66-4FC4-42EB-B18F-82986EF6B124.jpeg

Oh, no! I don’t want to embarrass my dear friend but Michael was a great lead vocalist and the best rhythm guitarist I’ve ever known. He had been in a band that (if my memory is still functioning) opened for Kansas, Foreigner, Journey and REO and sold hundreds of thousands of LPs for a major label... just enough to get dropped by the label in the “good” old days. He’s worked for Fender for eons now.

I’m pretty sure that the artist who designed our mascot, the two-headed dancing fellow embossed on Michael’s shirt, is now a well known sculptor in the Northeast. Sometimes I think we made more money selling those shirts than playing gigs. But I’ll bet that many of you on this forum have stories like mine.

Dave, is there any appropriate way I can send you my phone number? My wife and I are heading to a choral concert this afternoon but I’m otherwise available close to 24/7.

Hamerhead, as it happens, my wife and I now live on three acres of woods in Kentucky, but between the bugs, snakes and coyotes.....

2 hours ago, Dr. Bear said:

Dave, is there any appropriate way I can send you my phone number? My wife and I are heading to a choral concert this afternoon but I’m otherwise available close to 24/7.

Click on his namegMtS4b5.png

Then click on the little envelope... once it opens, type in your phone numberjr7jMMg.png

• 1 month later...

I want to shout out a very boisterous, happy, delighted, almost giddy thank you to the HFCers who have been hoping that Dr. Bear (the TLE made for me in '86) and I (Dr. Bear, his very self) would be reunited. Today it happened. (Dave, you are a pleasure to befriend!) 

I think I've located a set of original OBL(s) and a set of original mid-'80s black knobs so, with luck and a following wind, within a few weeks I'll have Dr. Bear (the TLE of course) in kinda sorta the shape she was in when Jol Dantzig first showed her to me 33 years ago. As for this Dr. Bear, well, the hair is gray and there's considerably less of it, the bod is less spry, and memory. . . Oy, what was I saying? But the sheer pleasure of plugging in Dr. Bear into a '71 Vibrochamp and hearing the ol' JB singing away can't be beat.

Y'all out there are just great.

Here are the two good doctors, together again after decades....

Drs Bear.jpg

Archived