Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NUGD: 2000 Music Man Axis

Got a text from a co-worker hipping me to this FS Axis. Basically a NOS ca.2000. The guy I got it from is 6’5” (“it’s just too small on me...”), but it fits me perfectly. 

Excellent quality guitar. Now I see why Axis owners rave about them so. It came strung with .010s, a non-starter on a guitar this Floyd-y. The Floyd was pitched forward into the cavity. Wrongo!! Why do, “repairmen”, constantly get it wrong with decked-FR setups? I did a factory setup with .009s, balanced the FR and this suckah is a PUH-layuh!! 

Some pics (not mine), but I’ll take some real ones later

8E721FF7-88CE-4B1F-A327-4607330D5F6C.jpeg

574EBB90-0712-478B-A6F2-40E67AB91425.jpeg

Beautiful...

never got a chance to play one of the EBMM EVH/Axis guitars. Closest was an old Peavey USA Wolfgang I had for a couple of years. Always loved the EBMM’s, tho. Congrats, that’s a nice one. 

1 hour ago, RobB said:

Thanx, all. The body shape initially reminded me of a beluga whale’s profile, but I’m getting over that initial impression.

I also was not a fan when I had only seen them in pictures.  Somehow they look better in person.  Congrats on the new ride!

I'd like to try one sometime. Didn't care for the Peavy Wolfgang I tried, and the EVH Fender Wolfgang I owned only stuck around for a couple weeks before I sold it, because, frankly, my Cali blew it away. But the Musicman still interests me. Gotta try one someday.

I think the neck has an asymmetrical carve, being a bit fuller on the bass side. It’s very comfortable. I dig the gun wax/oil finish.

When EVH jumped ship for Peavey in the late 90s, MM moved the switch location from the bottom horn to next to the volume pot. I think most everything else stayed the same. The pickups are direct mounted Dimarzios. It’s a little odd not being able to adjust them, but MM got the install nuts on. The neck p/u, especially, sounds killer for legato runs and muted picking.

The FR is a MM-branded, Gotoh version. That worked out great, as I prefer the Gotoh over the OFR. Instead of a threaded collar for the bar, it has a mounting with an Allen screw to adjust the tension (no slop!). Unlike an OFR, the bar is bolted in from below, so it stays attached (the case has an inner cut-out in the lid so it can close properly).

I dig those.  "One that got away" for me was an Axis Supersport MM90 - flat top, dual P90-style pickups and a fixed bridge.  Played and sounded great.  I was on the prowl for an Artist P90 at the time, and stuck to my guns and got one...  But that Axis was sweet

An Axis or Axis Supersport is something I've wanted to try out for a while. Decked tremolos put me off for a while, but if they work for EVH, they can work for me. Especially with the knife edge ones, they are so tippy, even with heavy springs. I bend too much I guess.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

I bend too much I guess.

Probably not. I adjust the claw so the baseplate stays put for a whole-step bend. I also find looser springs (Raw Vintage, et al), give a slinkier action to the decked FR (I use three springs).

2 hours ago, RobB said:

Probably not. I adjust the claw so the baseplate stays put for a whole-step bend. I also find looser springs (Raw Vintage, et al), give a slinkier action to the decked FR (I use three springs).

I used exactly the same method for the guitarist I teched for on the road with his collection of Wolfgang/Axis axes. Gotta tighten the claw, but use soft springs. A good Floyd is like a sports car's suspension. Too gentle/softly sprung and it won't grip in the bends. Too hard/stiff springs and dampers and you can't use it for everyday playing/driving without a lot of extra effort and discomfort!

Archived