Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bigsby Woes. Replace B50 Licensed with B50 USA?

tbonesullivan

Question

I've got a guitar by that "other" H-brand, and I really do like it.  Well, one thing that has always been less than ideal for me is the functioning of the Bigsby, as well as tuning stability.

Now, I know that no matter what I do, it's never going to match the likes of a modern 2 point trem.  However I think it still can be better than it is now. It came with the Licensed B50 overseas made Bigsby, which uses nylon bushings for the roller joints. The original Bigsby uses captured bearings, which can be oiled and maintained. So I'm looking into the possibility of sticking a B5 on in place of the B50, as well as having a new nut installed, optimized for tremolo use. It still has the stock nut, but I don't feel that it's as well cut as it could be, and doesn't have the flat bottom string slots cut that you'd usually want on a tremolo guitar. So also getting that re-cut would be on the list of things to do.

I LOVE the guitar. The sound is incredible. I'd just like to make it MORE incredible by having a more functional Bigsby. I've always felt that Licensed bigsby has too much slop in operation. But, I don't know whether the B5 would be a significant improvement.

15 answers to this question

Wait...there isn’t another “H” brand!

I have a Gretsch with a B50 (licensed). It plays, sounds and looks great, but tuning is an issue.  I lubed the nut (heh), but realized that wasn’t the problem.  The bridge was the problem. It was a tunamatic type, and the strings were binding there.  I replaced the bridge this week with an inexpensive roller bridge and the tuning problems went away immediately.  Very psyched. 

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Wait...there isn’t another “H” brand!

Hagstrom?

11 hours ago, Jack C said:

I have a Gretsch with a B50 (licensed). It plays, sounds and looks great, but tuning is an issue.  I lubed the nut (heh), but realized that wasn’t the problem.  The bridge was the problem. It was a tunamatic type, and the strings were binding there.  I replaced the bridge this week with an inexpensive roller bridge and the tuning problems went away immediately.  Very psyched. 

Well, it came from the factory with a schaller roller bridge, locking tuners, and the bigsby. Even has one of those "custom made" plaques over the original TOM studs.

I've seen some tutorials where they do things like put grease on the bottom of the tensioning roller, as most feel that the "roller" usually doesn't roll at all, and the strings just slide over it.

This is the guitar in question:

spacer.png

I found a solution to all my Bigsby (import and domestic) problems- the Duesenberg trem. Perfect tuning stability, weight relief, aesthetically much more pleasing, easier to string, 360 and adjustable arm, and MUCH more sensitive and versatile (in addition to the limited Bigsby tricks, I can divebomb, flutter, etc).  I replaced all my B7 and B5 trems, and added their Les Trem II to a bunch of other guitars I have.

4 hours ago, svl said:

I found a solution to all my Bigsby (import and domestic) problems- the Duesenberg trem. Perfect tuning stability, weight relief, aesthetically much more pleasing, easier to string, 360 and adjustable arm, and MUCH more sensitive and versatile (in addition to the limited Bigsby tricks, I can divebomb, flutter, etc).  I replaced all my B7 and B5 trems, and added their Les Trem II to a bunch of other guitars I have.

Whoa. That is pretty impressive. Is there any place domestically that has them, or did you need to import them? I can't find many listings for their trems except for the les trem ii.

I buy from Germany.  All in, about $150 for the Diamond.  eBay is a good source, as is Reverb.  You can buy direct from Duesenberg, I have done that as well.  Well worth the money.

I bought the Les Trem ii for my Artist and it works perfectly. I recently, (like 3 days ago) removed it and went back to the stock stoptail. 

Yeah...not "REAL" brands though.  ;)

"Hyundai"??? 

Not sure I trust that list.  I mean, it's missing the legendary marque, "Hondo II", which is twice as much Hondo as regular old "Hondo".

Archived