Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bought a new SG--returned it a few days later

I was intrigued by Gibson's new Modern line, so I purchased a 2019 SG Modern. The specs look good on paper (real ebony compound radius fretboard, asymmetrical neck, AA flamed maple top, real MOP inlays, humbucker/single coil switchable), but for me, it didn't work out.

It looked good, played and sounded well, but the overall balance was horrible. Even with a wide suede strap, the neck still took a nosedive toward the floor. The locking Grover tuners certainly didn't help in that regard. Plus, they moved the front strap button to behind the upper horn--which made the dive even worse. It also made for an odd angle when holding the guitar: the top of the body was thrust forward, and it made the neck stick out at about a 45-degree angle. I had to stretch to reach the first few frets.

I really wanted to like it, but it wasn't any better than the SG Supreme I already have, so back it went.

Obligatory pics:

111390036-front-xlarge.jpg

111390036-angle-xlarge.jpg

111390036-backbody-xlarge.jpg

The only SG's I've ever played that were neck heavy had Grovers fitted. Co-incidence? I think not...

While I dig SG's, there things they do well and things they don't.  Since mine were older models, they tended to have "whippy" necks and therefore were not rock solid in terms of holding their tune. I'm also not particularly fond of their shape/design, but that's a personal taste thing really.  On the plus side, they sounded great and were light as hell.

I do not like that new strap button location. The SG Supreme that both Thundersteel and I have owned was a bit neck heavy, but it also had the BIG headstock with the LP Custom style inlay, and Grover tuners. A suede strap easily fixed that. I would think the strap button is DEFINITELY to blame. It's not as far towards the neck, which gives it less leverage.

The current SG standard is slightly neck heavy, probably mostly due to the grover tuners. My Pelham Blue SG standard (AMS Exclusive Color) is pretty well balanced, though not as much as my 2002, which has the old style tuners.

10/10 on the looks. I love SG’s and that one looks no less than awesome. I happen to like the shape a lot, so...

However, I own only one. It’s a very basic guitar, featuring P-90’s. I’ve only played it at home and haven’t strapped it long enough, so I don’t know if its neck tends to dive more than what a guitar that light is supposed to. It sounds and plays great though.

It sucks you had to return yours. Better luck next time, bro!

Just now, Steve Haynie said:

After not owning or playing an SG for years they just feel weird.  There was a time when me and my friends had mostly SG's, making them feel normal. 

Actually, it’s exactly like that with everything. You get used to it, no matter how it felt at first. I’ve been playing Vees since ever... and there’s no more “normal” to me than that!

19 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

After not owning or playing an SG for years they just feel weird.  There was a time when me and my friends had mostly SG's, making them feel normal. 

They definitely do hang differently on the body, and also sit differently in the lap. Nothing else really feels like an SG when playing it, but damn they sound good and play awesome when set up correctly.

13 hours ago, gtone said:

While I dig SG's, there things they do well and things they don't.  Since mine were older models, they tended to have "whippy" necks and therefore were not rock solid in terms of holding their tune.

You probably won't like the handful of '61 reissues that Gibson's put out for the 2019 model year, then...I dunno if the neck joint is historically correct on any or all of those, but if they start becoming known for being able to do Pete Townsend-type neck-bending vibratos (regardless of whether they have a vibrato on them or not), or start having necks that separate from their bodies, or cracking at the neck joint, then I guess we'll find out:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/SG

I know this is petty, but I tend to think an SG needs that burgundy/wine kind of color with a black pickguard the way I think all Teles need to be on the natural/blond/butterscotch color scheme with a black pickguard, or the way I want all 6120s to be that Gretsch orange. It's as if some models were just made to be certain colors (I also can't imagine a Brain May model any other color other than that dark cherry/red/wine or whatever color that is.) I guess it's about what we've become accustomed to. 

8 hours ago, Thundersteel said:

I prefer no pick guards, actually.

I prefer the small ‘61 style pick guard 1st, no guard second, and the batwing last

I just traded an American Special Tele for a 2018 SG Standard. Has the locking Grover’s. Perfect balance. Sounds amazing. Feels amazing. No QC funny business. I’ve never played a fantastically perfect SG before and this one is it. I was very surprised and impressed. 

Bummer that’s not the case for yours :(

Best Gibson Ive ever owned was a 92 SG w a bigsby. Gave it to number 1 son as a college graduation gift. He really really always wanted it and it continues to be an amazing electric guitar. Batwing guard too

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, crunchee said:

You probably won't like the handful of '61 reissues that Gibson's put out for the 2019 model year, then...I dunno if the neck joint is historically correct on any or all of those, but if they start becoming known for being able to do Pete Townsend-type neck-bending vibratos (regardless of whether they have a vibrato on them or not), or start having necks that separate from their bodies, or cracking at the neck joint, then I guess we'll find out:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/SG

It sounds like the SG would be a likely candidate for neck-through construction. Aas long as Gibson is dicking around with their iconic designs, why not try that?

4 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

It sounds like the SG would be a likely candidate for neck-through construction. Aas long as Gibson is dicking around with their iconic designs, why not try that?

It looks like the neck-through Gibson SG does already exist —or did exist:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-run-sg-neck-thru-electric-guitar

However, I can only find pictures of a 12-string, which makes me think the ad above might be incomplete.

Here’s a link to the 12-stringer: 

https://www.long-mcquade.com/74129/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Gibson/2016-Ltd-Edn-SG-Neck-Through-12-String---Heritage-Cherry.htm

16717EAE-CC0F-430E-B729-E40397E683A1.jpeg

32 minutes ago, zorrow said:

It looks like the neck-through Gibson SG does already exist —or did exist:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-run-sg-neck-thru-electric-guitar

However, I can only find pictures of a 12-string, which makes me think the ad above might be incomplete.

Here’s a link to the 12-stringer: 

https://www.long-mcquade.com/74129/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Gibson/2016-Ltd-Edn-SG-Neck-Through-12-String---Heritage-Cherry.htm

16717EAE-CC0F-430E-B729-E40397E683A1.jpeg

I shouldn't..but I do...I like it.

Hipshot makes an ultralight series of tuners they call just that. I'd recommend that and the heaviest tailpiece you can put your hands on to shift the center of balance.

When I intonate guitars, I stand up with the guitar on a strap. Here's what I have in the shop for when I encounter neck-heavy SGs on my strap.

32974803_1830287513940091_11988746653768

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, shoes and indoor

20 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

Hipshot makes an ultralight series of tuners they call just that. I'd recommend that and the heaviest tailpiece you can put your hands on to shift the center of balance.

When I intonate guitars, I stand up with the guitar on a strap. Here's what I have in the shop for when I encounter neck-heavy SGs on my strap.

32974803_1830287513940091_11988746653768

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, shoes and indoor

Looks like a classier version of truck nuts.

9 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

While definitely more stable, that would totally kill the magic of the SG.

18 hours ago, DaveH said:

While definitely more stable, that would totally kill the magic of the SG.

Exactly.  You remember my DC150?  Neck through carvin doublecut, mahogany (with a maple top).  It's a good guitar, but it most definitely isn't an SG. Same neck, same size, similar shape, but somehow it has a very different vibe.

3 hours ago, Moose said:

Exactly.  You remember my DC150?  Neck through carvin doublecut, mahogany (with a maple top).  It's a good guitar, but it most definitely isn't an SG. Same neck, same size, similar shape, but somehow it has a very different vibe.

Yep, and I have a 150 too (all koa)... Definitely NOT even SG-like. Slightly different scale too (25") but not sure that affects things too much. Not as much as the set versus neck thru does. It's a nice guitar in it's niche, but the SG is a lot livelier and I prefer it.

Archived