Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bought a new SG--returned it a few days later

I just bought the 4th SG i've owned. I love them Mine wit stock gibson tuners  the weight balance thing was easily taken care of with a 3 inch linked suede strap. As a matter of act i bought 1 off ebay because i like the wood grain look. But what didn't really love are the p90 pups. I fixed the bridge with a Dimarzio dual coil p 90. It sounds great now. The actipon must have been set up by someone who knows their shit man it's perfect Didn't have to touch it. The neck is perfect the strings are as close as about a dime thickness. I like close action.  Easier to bend 2 strings at a time for me. And i love bending strings man. Just bought my 4th from i wont say the company name but the action was so far off i had to do everything to it

Adjust intonation as well . Big pain ass. But the price was right and i wanted one with stock 490R and 490 T pups. I think those pickups are some of the best sounding pickups made. That's just my opinion. They sound great with my rig that's all i can say. Had a near mint 2003 with crescent moon inlays And the neck was spectacular They made that guitar only 1 year. The neck got wider as you went up it Super easy to play I sold it like a dumb ass. Really regret it now Have been looking for a real nice 1 the only 1 i know of now is local pickup only. Long way away. Haven't looked in a few days Need to be patient although it's hard to do because 1 will turn up they always do.

My favs are my Hamers though. A 1984 PROTOTYPE II and a 1995 Eclipse 12 string. Thin neck but i like it. Good sturdy guitar. Was gonna buy another Prototype II but when i saw the 12 string i had to have it.  Prototype II is a very heavy guitar over 10 lbs. Compared to a SG which is like 6 lbs. Big difference The Prototype II is like having a down rigger weight tied to your shoulder Very heavy man. But boy do they play nice and sound killer.  So when i go to jam somewhere i always ta both my hamers and a SG usually tuned down a half step for certain detuned songs But the SG is a fantastic guitar IMO.

the right one 

Archived