Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone going to Cheap Trick @ the Genessee in Waukegan tonight?

Great band in a really exceptional venue.  I'll be there.  Anyone else?

20 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

Great band in a really exceptional venue.  I'll be there.  Anyone else?

How was the show?

We did run into George and Carmie after the show.  Hugs were exchanged.

I didn't take any photos, but I think I may appear in a few taken by Sir Dan.  I expect he'll put some up on the board.  My observations:

• I was surprised to see a 5th member of the band onstage.  He was next to Tom, sang  and played guitar throughout the show.  Turns out it's Robin's son, which explains how he was able to double Robin's vocals perfectly on several songs.  A very talented young man!
  • Robin was in excellent form.  I'm amazed that he can still be so consistently flawless.
  • Rick seemed a little off.  I believe he may have been under the weather, based on a comment about throwing up that Robin made. He put in a solid effort, but I've seem him play more precise solos.  
  • The sound was sketchy for the first several songs, with overwhelming bass and some feedback through the vocal mics.  They got it sorted pretty quickly, though.  
  • Song selection was mostly predictable, with a few twists, like Magical Mystery Tour and something that Tom sang after "I Know What I Want" and his bass solo.  
  • I wish they'd substitute Downed for The Flame as Robin's showcase moment, and play more of the first album.  "He's a Whore" was great!

You will always here these songs at a Cheap Trick show. 

I Want You To Want Me

Surrender

Dream Police

The Flame

At some shows those four songs are the last to be played.  Anything else you hear will be whatever the band wants to play.  They sometimes pull out a song you thought you would never hear them play, and you think "cool."

Personally, I'd love to see them do the first two albums, in order, back to back.

Best I can do for you and it is pretty good. IIRC, this is the setlist for the CD Live at the Metro taken from all three nights like the cd.  Saw the In Color night at First Avenue November 1998. Wish I had seen all three night but I saw Aerosmith across the street at the Target Center that first night and then Aerosmith in Mankato that third night.

Archived