Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 2009 Gibson LP Studio At DGS...With 'Doghair' Finish?

EB Music Man did a special run of Luke III guitars like that. They called it Tumescent. Not really a fan, but I can see how some people would like it.

Luke-L3-Tumescent-HH-G77978-7.jpg

Somebody must've really liked it, it's been marked as sold on the DGS website.

Edited to add:  That finish works well over mahogany (and probably Korina too, since the wood grain's similar), but over ash...not so much, not to me anyway.

Which reminds me, what is the 'Red Fox' finish over mahogany that Gibson used, IIRC back in the late '60's or early '70's?

4 hours ago, crunchee said:

Somebody must've really liked it, it's been marked as sold on the DGS website.

Edited to add:  That finish works well over mahogany (and probably Korina too, since the wood grain's similar), but over ash...not so much, not to me anyway.

Which reminds me, what is the 'Red Fox' finish over mahogany that Gibson used, IIRC back in the late '60's or early '70's?

It looks to be a similar finish, but using cherry instead of black. I'm not sure exactly how they make the finish work. Maybe it's a white grain filler, then a black stain, and they sand it back to show the white grain filler?

30 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

It looks to be a similar finish, but using cherry instead of black. I'm not sure exactly how they make the finish work. Maybe it's a white grain filler, then a black stain, and they sand it back to show the white grain filler?

https://www.wikihow.com/Apply-a-Ceruse-Finish

That link doesn't cover stained wood. I would stain the wood first with the pores open, then apply the ceruse finish to the pores.

Wasn't that called "TV Black"?

6 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

If you look on Collings' site, they mention black stain and white grain filler... I imagine it'll work well on anything with large pores... it looks different on ash, but I kinda like it better than the mahogany myself...

spacer.png

On 6/9/2019 at 3:16 PM, cynic said:

Probably started as a satin finish and someone did a partial refin to get that look.

My buddy absolutely loathes the "faded" Gibsons... I always tell him that he's being way too critical: half the prep work is done, they just need light sanding and a finish.

Carvin/Kiesel started doing an "antique ash" finish, where they would stain the whole guitar, and then sand it down. The pores of the ash grain absorb the stain much more readily, so it realy brings them out.

For me though, I'm much more about translucent finishes than things like the the Epiphone "Silver Fox" and "Red Silver Fox" finishes.  Of course I also don't really like solid color finishes either. To each their own!

65_wilshire-silverfox2s.jpg

DSC01555.jpg

On 6/9/2019 at 8:20 PM, killerteddybear said:

Also known as a "cerusé" finish. Really stands out on swamp ash! Used extensively on FBass basses (I have one like this):

kmqvlakmn4q18uvl8w6o.jpg

Variations - 

ejcwatdl05ppzkjx8www.jpgturquoise.png

I like it! Collings uses this finish on some of their gits. I've been trying to replicate it in my shop.

2 hours ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I like it! Collings uses this finish on some of their gits. I've been trying to replicate it in my shop.

Another technique that I've heard mentioned is to use a thin coat of black paint and then to fill with contrasting grain filler. A little more pronounced...

spacer.png

Archived