Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who makes the best hum-cancelling P-90?

Jeff R

Question

As in a P-90 derivative has all the things we love about a great P-90, except the hum. Not picky at this point about dogear, soapbar, whatever footprint really ...  hum-free glorious classic P-90 tone is all that matters really. And GO!

12 answers to this question

I'm looking forward to the responses.  I never thought such a thing existed. Can I cheat and suggest Josh G's p90s coupled with a dummy coil (e.g., Suhr's SSC)?  Here's one example around the 5:00 mark:

Some nice riffage too...

Here's one for the Ilitch back plate but for single coils ... right around the 20 sec mark the video gets interesting

I don’t know about best but I’ll give you a “pretty darn good” option.  I feel shilly given this is the second mention I’ve made of them today, but if you can find a used Dimarzio Bluesbucker to check out I think you’d be pleased.  The specs are odd (10k, ceramic, only one of the coils is live) but they were plenty P90esque in the mahogany slab Larrivee I had them in.  Think of it as an 80s MIJ ceramic single with a slightly deeper voice and some hair on its chest. 

Kinman is the name I usually hear. The Gibson and Seymour Duncan offerings are stacked, and just don't get the job done if you want the real P90 sound.

Lindy Fralin makes some hum-free P90s

P-90-Soapbar-Black-600x600.pngBlack-Soapbar-Alnico-Rod-1-600x600.png

I had some Fralin P90s and they were excellent. Also had a vintage guitar buddy who swore by them.

The Fralin design is interesting in that it's a "sidewinder" style -- but I've never actually heard one or a set of these in person! I've already sourced the parts for these and could easily do them but I'd like to hear a set cranked and play 'em for a while first. Those Kinmans tho ...just killer...and THAT is what I'm going for.

I have a Ton Anderson noiseless P90 in one of my guitars, sounds fine to me but I don't have anything close to Eric Johnson ears so my opinion might not be valid.

The only hum cancelling P-90s I've actually played are Fralins.  I was impressed.  Slightly rolled off top end, but otherwise nice, clear and balanced.  Definitely not a raw sounding pickup (like the standard Duncans).

Or another option, really a compromise I suppose, is on a guitar with two P90s, to have one reverse wound. I have two like this, one with Wolftones (my P90 Special) and one with Lollars, a Heritage H 125. In the middle/ dual pup position when the volumes are matched the hum is cancelled. It helps if the guitar also has two tone pots.

You know, my Rumpelstiltskin Chameleon is an HB-sized P90 type and it is VERY quiet...not hum-free, of course...but far quieter than any regular P90 I have ever played. I am certain Josh’s will sound similar noise -wise....some are soooooo very quiet and others just roar with hum. Sorry, this is not relevant to your discussion...just an observation.

Archived