Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gilmour's Collection Up For Grabs

4 hours ago, diablo175 said:

I'd actually consider bidding on The Black Strat... if I had $150,000 + to spare. :P

Even then I think you might come up short. I think their estimate is really low.

53 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Even then I think you might come up short. I think their estimate is really low.

image.png

On 6/14/2019 at 7:58 PM, kizanski said:

My thoughts exactly.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see the black Strat AND Strat 0001 go over a half a million or more.  Heck, they have a Nash Tele he owned valued at $1000 - $2000, which is the value of a Nash WITHOUT being owned by Gilmour

1 hour ago, bigolsparky said:

55 Les Paul

I like this one.

I wonder how many times I would have to hit the "CHANGE CURRENCY" button to get it in my price range.

I like the right handed Beatle bass he's got, too... and I have a well-documented soft spot for Martin D35s (it was my first - and only - acoustic not made by me, and the first guitar I built was what I called a "pre-war HD35"). Add to my fondness for the model the fact that that's the guitar that spawned and then recorded "Wish You Were Here," and I'd be in serious trouble if I had an extra dollar to my name!

And their estimates are off by a factor of 10 - I predict "The Black Strat" sets the record for a CBS Strat at over a million and 0001 goes for $500-750k, minimum.

Funny, it doesn't look like a '69 Strat.

Also, Strat #0001 isn't the first Strat...when that neck plate was originally put on that guitar, the plate itself was pulled at random from a parts bin in the factory that held the neck plates, #0001 being the neck plate given to that guitar for no other reason than it was there.  There wasn't any 'system' of matching the neck plate to the guitar; just grab a plate, assemble, and go to the next assembly station.

2 hours ago, crunchee said:

Funny, it doesn't look like a '69 Strat.

Also, Strat #0001 isn't the first Strat...when that neck plate was originally put on that guitar, the plate itself was pulled at random from a parts bin in the factory that held the neck plates, #0001 being the neck plate given to that guitar for no other reason than it was there.  There wasn't any 'system' of matching the neck plate to the guitar; just grab a plate, assemble, and go to the next assembly station.

...which is why no one has referred to it as "The First Strat" instead "#0001." Its still an early production example, from '54, belonged to DG, and is known to carry that serial number, automatically increasing its value. It isn't the 1st Strat, but anyone who would be at this auction with enough money to bid on it knows that already.

8 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

...anyone who would be at this auction with enough money to bid on it knows that already.

5 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Don't be so sure. ;)

Well, they sure as shit should.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone--

So...I was at the Gilmour auction preview a few weeks back in NYC and during my 90 minute visit, I noticed a gentleman that was standing transfixed at Gilmour's Black Strat for much of my time there. I could tell it was hitting him right in the soul...I exchanged a few words with him, but didn't want to pull him out of his zone. When looking over the pictures I took on the plane ride home, I found this one serendipitous image of the Black Strat and his pensive expression reflected. I know he would have loved this photo--too bad I have no contact info!  And, yes, I suppose it could be Jesus admiring and approving of the Black Strat.  :) 

spacer.png

Very cool... thanks for sharing!

I wonder what the deal is with the body work behind the trem?.. looks like it was routed out for a recessed Floyd then reversed back to a fender trem...😕 I guess only Jesus knows😆

Yes, it also has a filled-in XLR connection on the bottom body edge below the typical output jack (can't be seen in the photo)...I believe I read somewhere that after abandoning the idea, he filled the hole with his own concoction of glue, sawdust, and paint.  And to think with all these flaws someone was still willing to pay $4MM for the guitar haha!!!  What a sucker!  And when the buyer gets the pickguard off and sees the middle pickup rout was hacked away to accommodate a humbucker!!  Oh the humanity...

Here's another picture I kind of liked.  I get a kind of "Wish You Were Here" vibe from it.  A juxtaposition of art vs. commerce--the musician getting burned by the industry.  For the record, I was NOT guided through the exhibit by a Christie's salesperson.  Maybe because I forgot to wear my suit that day.

And, oh, sorry to say no Hamers were part of the auction.  Maybe he just realized they were too good to sell--even for charity.

-Ryan

spacer.png

Archived