Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB older Seymour Duncan JB pickup

If you fail in your search and decide any “old” JB will do.  I’ve got the stock covered JB I yanked out of my ‘97 Mirage II up for sale 

Have one in my Super Pro. Best bridge pickup I've had in that guitar and I tried many. I hope you can score one of these early JB's, they have a vibe to them. You could try the Antiquity JB if you don't find the real deal. I suppose they are good too: https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/antiquity-jb

6 hours ago, kizanski said:

Let me check the drawer...

Thank you, that would be fantabulous!

7 hours ago, Disturber said:

Have one in my Super Pro. Best bridge pickup I've had in that guitar and I tried many. I hope you can score one of these early JB's, they have a vibe to them. You could try the Antiquity JB if you don't find the real deal. I suppose they are good too: 

Agree, it's my pick favorite pickup as well... it just has that rock sound that's in my head... I'm especially fond of the older JB "J's" but would really like one that as the "JB model sticker"

They are worth a pretty penny... probably the MOST expensive used Seymour Duncan you could possibly find. I have owned a crap ton of used Duncans and have never come across a long legged JB Model before.

They date back to before SD was a mega corporation... before the pickups got their model numbers... no (SH-4, SH-1 etc). Before you could buy SD pickups in retail outlets... you had to buy these direct from Seymour.

Maybe half of the “JB Models” are either double cream or zebra... but a LOT were double cream.

Most people acquired these from buying a guitar with the pickup already installed in it... and SOLD Them a decade ago. They are all in the hands of collectors at this point in time.

The days of finding cheap vintage pickups are long gone. I would expect a vintage Uber collectible “JB Model” to go for $300 or more.

As Disturber mentioned, the Antiquity JB is designed to be exactly like a “JB Model” that’s been sitting in someone’s drawer since 1975.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, zenmindbeginner said:

The days of finding cheap vintage pickups are long gone. I would expect a vintage Uber collectible “JB Model” to go for $300 or more.

As I appreciate your input you do realize you're probably screwing me at the same time right?.. well there went that chance of ever finding one at a decent price😕

Remind me to never take you car shopping with me~

3 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

As I appreciate your input you do right realize you're probably screwing me at the same time right?.. well there went that chance of ever finding one at a decent price😕

Word!  I was gonna just PIF to you, but now...

31 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

As I appreciate your input you do right realize you're probably screwing me at the same time right?.. well there went that chance of ever finding one at a decent price😕

Remind me to never take you car shopping with me~

You could come up with $300 digging under the sofa cushions in your guest house.

AND... $300+ isn't the quick sale price. That value  is only to a pickup collector.

A "JB Model" listed for $300 on eBay might be on eBay for a while before someone  pays that price.

$300+ certainly isn't a price between forum members... not only that, but the quick sale value is maybe $150.

Any forum member that still has one and wants to sell isn't going to pop a $300 price tag on it... certainly not to another forum member.

9 minutes ago, zenmindbeginner said:

Any forum member that still has one and wants to sell isn't going to pop a $300 price tag on it... certainly not to another forum member.

This doesn’t apply to lurkers and interlopers of course.

19 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

They date back to before SD was a mega corporation... before the pickups got their model numbers... no (SH-4, SH-1 etc). Before you could buy SD pickups in retail outlets... you had to buy these direct from Seymour.

@zenmindbeginner good morning, not what I was looking for but, interesting enough a guy just sent me this photo of a older Duncan custom with the same scripted sticker label... 

BU82MXI.png

6S3zJdS.png

I struck out in my search for the pickup.
I know I had one (a double-black JB which was in the bridge position of my '76 Explorer when I bought it) and it was kicking around for a while, but it isn't in any of the logical places I would have kept it.  The only place I haven't looked is in that guitar's case.
If it's not in there, I may have already given it away - and it would have been on this forum.

1 minute ago, kizanski said:

I struck out in my search for the pickup.
I know I had one (a double-black JB which was in the bridge position of my '76 Explorer when I bought it) and it was kicking around for a while, but it isn't in any of the logical places I would have kept it.  The only place I haven't looked is in that guitar's case.
If it's not in there, I may have already given it away - and it would have been on this forum.

No worries, I really do appreciate the effort... 

3 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

@zenmindbeginner good morning, not what I was looking for but, interesting enough a guy just sent me this photo of a older Duncan custom with the same scripted sticker label... 

BU82MXI.png

6S3zJdS.png

I have one of those, except it’s a custom/59 hybrid. Back when the hybrid idea came about on the Duncan forum before it caught steam and Duncan started making hybrids straight from the factory, I picked it up (puns!  I’ve got them). It’s the screw coil with baseplate from an old custom labeled just like that with the slug coil of a 59. Pretty cool pickup actually. 

Have had one or two of those. Stupidldy sold them. But they sound the same to me as newer ones. I have an early to mid 80s in the neck of my Super Pro now. Sweet sounding.

6 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

BU82MXI.png

I actually think the Custom is a more well rounded pickup than the JB... the JB can be wrong for many applications and the Custom is usually a fairly good fit for just about anything.

I used to play JBs but I don't go near them any more.

3 hours ago, Travis said:

I have one of those, except it’s a custom/59 hybrid. Back when the hybrid idea came about on the Duncan forum before it caught steam and Duncan started making hybrids straight from the factory, I picked it up (puns!  I’ve got them). It’s the screw coil with baseplate from an old custom labeled just like that with the slug coil of a 59. Pretty cool pickup actually. 

This one of the BachToRock original hybrids?

1 hour ago, Disturber said:

Have had one or two of those. Stupidldy sold them. But they sound the same to me as newer ones. I have an early to mid 80s in the neck of my Super Pro now. Sweet sounding.

You have a 14k pickup in the neck of one of your guitars? WTF?!?!?

Like Kiz, I also gave away one of those on here eons ago.  I will have to actually start charging for some of these damned things one day!  

:D

Apologies for derailing the thread, but when, exactly, was the last time Jeff Beck actually played a guitar with a JB model pickup in it?

That's a good question.

Likely not since Duncan was making them double cream.

SD DID make the pups in the guitar used on Blow by Blow. Grafted them into a tele, and they were rewound PAFs, which is where it all started.  But I've watched maybe a half dozen Jeff Beck things in recent years, and just did an image search for him, and almost all the images he has a strat with single coils, or a tele with the a tele bridge pup. I don't see much recent where he uses humbuckers.

Not that it matters. I dislike JBs in Hamers, personally. They're the first thing to get thrown out. But they work great for other people and those folks love JBs in their applications. I think this is always true with pickups, especially ones not in the middle of the road. If they're right for you, they're right for you. Horses  for courses, right?  If they work really well for your application, it doesn't matter if their namesake is playing them or not.

5 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

This one of the BachToRock original hybrids?

I don’t remember who I got it from. This was back in ‘06-‘07, I think. It might have been ArtieToo, did a bunch of trades with him for hybrid pickups and electronics  

if I remember correctly, BachToRock was he first one to do it and then a couple of the other members on the Duncan board tried their hands at it. I had several of the hybrids, (including a Distortion/59) but the Custom/59 is the one I kept. Seemed to match up the best. 

11 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

You have a 14k pickup in the neck of one of your guitars? WTF?!?!?

It's in the Super Pro. Hamer loaded them with a Duncan Custom in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge from factory. Great choice by Jol and the gang.

I've had old Hamer/Dimarzio OEM paf's, Burstbucker and 60's gibby paf, Hamer 17K Slammer, Seth Lover and Duncan 59 and last a Duncan made EVH Frankenstein in this guitar, might have forgotten a pair or two as well. Nothing worked 100% for me. The Super Pro is semi hollow, no middle block like on a 335. So it is totally hollow under the bridge pup. With all bridge pickups, exept for the CUstom in the neck and old JB in the bridge that I have in it now it sounded like a miked acoustic guitar when cranked through a driven amp.

It drove me mad that I could not get it to work, as I love this guitar. But when I put the JB in the bridge and roll it of to 8 on the volume pot it sounds like any old great paf out there. Very sweet. And I can boost it to 10 if I need more gain, (sounds sweet then to, just leaves paf territory). And the Custom in the neck sounds like a great paf too. Not "hot" at all. But just right. I don't know what the deal is with the construction of the Super Pro. But Hamer got it 100% right with the Custom in the neck. I have not tried it with a Custom Custom in the bridge, but the EVH Frankenstein I had in it is basically a custom made Custom Custom (no pun intended).

The EVH worked well in there, 2nd best bridge pickup I've had in the guitar. But the JB is IT for my Super Pro. It does not sound like JB's I had in other guitars. Can be that it's an old "The JB Model" version, or that the JB just works great in the Super Pro's semi hollow construction. I don't know. All I know is that it will never leave this guitar for as long as I own and play it. :-)

FYI the Hamer Monaco Elite also came with a Duncan Custom in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge. This combo works!

Archived