Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD - Twinning with a '81 Tokai

I've been on the prowl for one of these (or the Robin equivalent) for years, and this just happened...

eBruu3N.png

My Kanji is rusty, but I think it reads: "Minty !!  Tight neck pocket gives loud acoustic voice"

This was the first time I've see one in black finish, and black+binding has always been a favorite.  Perfect twin for my Schecter PT!  In fact, the Tokai neck is a dead ringer for that Schecter neck - same exact width, chunky carve, profile, frets...  It shows hardly any signs of wear, and after a neck shim and quick setup it plays beautifully.  I will say that the fit/finish is the best of any Fender shaped object I've owned.

UuGEQOY.jpg

I'm also learning that I dig single pickup guitars.  It all started years ago with a beautiful Hamer Korina Junior which has since moved on (gave way to the BCR version), and the cyclops gang has continued to grow...

4hItWuM.png

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

I was so fortunate to find mine.  It's double bound and is flamey front and back.  The black one, however, is some kind of different "cool".  Fantastic...

Xni305x.jpg

Turdus' guitar player/vocalist for well over a decade had one EXACTLY like yours - the only other one I've seen in that finish/double bound.  He sold it because he preferred a thicker neck, but that was a great sounding and playing guitar.

On 6/16/2019 at 4:40 PM, RobB said:

Very cool score. Most anything from Tokai Japan are great instruments. Is the hardshell case strapped to an ATA roadcase?

Nah that's just the HSC.

11 hours ago, The Shark said:

I was so fortunate to find mine.  It's double bound and is flamey front and back.  The black one, however, is some kind of different "cool".  Fantastic...

That looks awesome!  I haven't seen a double bound one before - slab body? Or is the back still contoured?

11 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Turdus' guitar player/vocalist for well over a decade had one EXACTLY like yours - the only other one I've seen in that finish/double bound.  He sold it because he preferred a thicker neck, but that was a great sounding and playing guitar.

It does have a bit of a "Vee" neck shape.  Reminds me of the original Squier guitars from Japan.

1 hour ago, chromium said:

That looks awesome!  I haven't seen a double bound one before - slab body? Or is the back still contoured?

The pics are really shitty.  I should dig it out and photograph it again.  Here's a photo of the back and full front too.  I think they were copying Billy Gibbons Erlewine guitars.

https:[imgTGnyDqM.jpg

dFVx606.jpg

2 hours ago, The Shark said:

It does have a bit of a "Vee" neck shape.  Reminds me of the original Squier guitars from Japan.

Thanks for the pics!  

Interesting - they must have been experimenting a bit with these models.  Mine has a C profile and relatively fat neck carve.

Archived