Hamer Fan Club Message Center

USB Not Recognized

Steve Haynie

Question

My little Nikon Coolpix camera usually gets plugged in via USB, and then I get a prompt to upload new photos.  Today, nothing.  I can plug in, hear a noise indicating something got plugged in, and then nothing happens.  When I open Windows Explorer the camera does not show up.  There is another USB device I have plugged in, and it shows up fine. 

Does anyone have an idea of what can be done to get my camera's connection to show up again? 

10 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

My little Nikon Coolpix camera usually gets plugged in via USB, and then I get a prompt to upload new photos.  Today, nothing.  I can plug in, hear a noise indicating something got plugged in, and then nothing happens.  When I open Windows Explorer the camera does not show up.  There is another USB device I have plugged in, and it shows up fine. 

Does anyone have an idea of what can be done to get my camera's connection to show up again? 

Is the other device plugged in at the same time?  It might be hiding the camera (I'm assuming Windows here). I'm not sure where the info is in Win 10 (Settings somewhere) - in earlier versions it was control panel.  There was a place where you could assign a drive letter to avoid something else taking precedence over a drive letter.  If the other USB device is plugged in, take it out and try again. 

Usually I get automatic new numbers on USB devices.  I just unplugged and replugged the external hard drive, and it was recognized.  While it was unplugged the camera still did not show up. 

I tried the SD card in the SD slot on the face of the computer.  Nothing.  I put it in my ancient SanDisk Cruiser.  Nothing. 

The photos from last night show up when I want to see them on the camera. 

What would keep the computer from reading that particular SD card? 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Usually I get automatic new numbers on USB devices.  I just unplugged and replugged the external hard drive, and it was recognized.  While it was unplugged the camera still did not show up. 

I tried the SD card in the SD slot on the face of the computer.  Nothing.  I put it in my ancient SanDisk Cruiser.  Nothing. 

The photos from last night show up when I want to see them on the camera. 

What would keep the computer from reading that particular SD card? 

Sometimes on Windows machines they can get picky about what USB port you’re using. Try it in another USB port. Hell, try all of the other USB ports.

I have tried other USB ports.  I have also been able to plug in a USB flash drive that was immediately recognized. 

It is not possible to update the camera driver if the computer will not see the camera when it is plugged in.  I will have to ask a friend to try it on his machine. 

23 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Tried that several times. 

Are you sure it's not the actual out Port of your camera?.. take the battery out and shoot it with some spray contact cleaner or deoxit

I tried a different cable this morning.  No luck. 

I tried putting a different SD card in the camera.  No luck. 

The problem is in the camera.  It will not connect with either SD card. 

The camera's SD card may have gone bad. 

All I am going to lose is about 30 or so photos of Bill Kirchen and Redd Volkaert that were taken from the front row.  This is not good, but not the end of the world. 

I tried a different cable this morning.  No luck. 

I tried putting a different SD card in the camera.  No luck. 

The problem is in the camera.  It will not connect with either SD card. 

The camera's SD card may have gone bad. 

All I am going to lose is about 30 or so photos of Bill Kirchen and Redd Volkaert that were taken from the front row.  This is not good, but not the end of the world. 

I'd try it on someone else's computer before you give up on it completely.  It may be trashed, but it's worth a shot.

Hey @Steve Haynie, two things I thought of, place your camera in "Setup Mode", then press your "Menu" button. Make sure that "Auto Transfer" is set to "On". When you're done with that, select "interface" and make sure that the interface mode is set to "USB", and not NTSB , "Video Mode."

Sometimes Windows loses it's way when you remove a USB device and won't recognize it when you plug it in again.

REBOOT. And then plug in.

Works sometimes.

@Steve Haynie If the two things I mentioned above don't work either, it's possible that your SD card is corrupted. The camera has a format function in the "Setup" mode as well. It will ask you to select either a "quick format" or a "Full format." Choose full. Then retry and see if windows picks it up.

I do not have those options in setup.  A battery just died, so I switched batteries thinking there might be a problem there.  The old battery should have recharged as long as the camera was plugged in. 

I have tried restarting the computer.  Nothing changed with the camera problem. 

My little camera may have to go back to Nikon.

22 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

@Steve Haynie Your camera has internal storage. Is it possible that your camera store the photographs that you took on its internal storage and not the SD card? Leave the SD card out of the camera and plug your camera in to your computer and see if it reads your photos from the camera’s internal storage.

I just tried that.  It still did not work. 

I don't believe it's your camera. I think you said somewhere that you plugged the SD card directly into the computer's SD card reader and got the same result. That means it's not your camera. Did you try a different SD Card? If it works with a different SD card, the other SD card is corrupted and needs to be formatted. If you get nothing with a different SD card as well, my money is the computer driver for reading SD cards is in need of reinstallation. Remove it and reinstall it.

I did try a different SD card in the camera.  Windows Explorer would not show it. 

That alternate card can be read when it is in a SanDisk Cruiser that I bought in 2003.  The original card from the camera cannot. 

It is the card, camera or both. 

Archived