Hamer Fan Club Message Center

USB Not Recognized

Steve Haynie

Question

My little Nikon Coolpix camera usually gets plugged in via USB, and then I get a prompt to upload new photos.  Today, nothing.  I can plug in, hear a noise indicating something got plugged in, and then nothing happens.  When I open Windows Explorer the camera does not show up.  There is another USB device I have plugged in, and it shows up fine. 

Does anyone have an idea of what can be done to get my camera's connection to show up again? 

17 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

I did try a different SD card in the camera.  Windows Explorer would not show it. 

That alternate card can be read when it is in a SanDisk Cruiser that I bought in 2003.  The original card from the camera cannot. 

It is the card, camera or both. 

Steve, take the extra SD card (the one that worked in the SanDisk Cruiser)and format it with the format utility in the camera, then try it. 

SD cards do need to be formatted at times with the hardware that is writing to them,

41 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

I did try a different SD card in the camera.  Windows Explorer would not show it. 

That alternate card can be read when it is in a SanDisk Cruiser that I bought in 2003.  The original card from the camera cannot. 

It is the card, camera or both. 

Did you try formatting the card that worked in the Cruiser with the camera’s formatting utility before trying it in the camera? 

Just a reminder & I'm sure you already know this but careful... Formatting will erase whatever is on that SD card... I would format a spare SD card, put it back in the camera and take a few photos, then check again

I tried a different cable.  The camera still sees the card. Thank you to everyone for your help, especially gtrdaddy who would not give up. 

The problem is fixed.  While Windows Explorer would not see the camera or the card, Device Manager showed the camera under Portable Devices with a triangle over the icon.  I right clicked, uninstalled, plugged the camera in again and the driver was loaded again.  That was it.  Now it is fine. 

I just posted one of the photos that I thought would be lost. 

Archived