Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gilmour’s Black Strat went for almost $4 MILLION

Cary

I wonder if they included the Kahler. 🙃

Kind of annoying that they don't say who got it. I'll guess Jimmy Irsay or the Ziff guy.

The downline stuff is more surprising to me.

Gilmour's 1958 Gretsch White Penguin sold for $447,000, while a 1955 Les Paul Goldtop—which Gilmour used on the "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)" solo—sold for another $447,000. Even Gilmour's simple Jedson steel guitar, which had an estimate of just $2,000, fetched $300,000. An '80s Gibson acoustic crested $230,000. A Steinberger went for $125,000. A 2008 Fender P-Bass sold for $52,500.

Over $21M raised in this auction with proceeds to go to charity.  Obviously Christie's is going to stick their hand in the pot but still going to a good cause I hope!!

Hats off to Gilmour, he could have easily said "I'd like to keep that money and give $1M to charity".

Dang... The serial number 0001 Strat had already set a new record Strat price earlier in the day. Is the auction over several days? What a huuuuge haul.

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

What was the buyer's premium?  15%...?  20%...?  30%...?  Auction houses like Christie's hit the buyer and seller with fees. 

I wonder if Kirk Hammett will let people come to his house and play the black Strat.

He can't, it went to Billionaire Jim Irsay.who has many such items he likes to collect.............................along with a NFL football team.....................and so much more.

8 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Dangit, I had hoped someone else had gotten it. Hopefully the other items went to people who might actually PLAY them.

I'm torn on this, and probably in the minority in my opinion as well, but...

Some guitars actually do belong in a museum, hanging on a wall, not to be played by anyone else, and I think The Black Strat (TBS) is one of those guitars.
Clapton's Blackie, Green's/Moore's 'burst, Nielsen's checkerboard Standard, and TBS, when retired or auctioned off should be on display for all to see and the condition of these instruments should be preserved as-is.

I'm not talking about hanging in some billionaire's house, of course. That's akin to hanging a Rembrandt in your home: all but a chosen few will be denied witnessing a work of art.
In the case of one of these instruments, hanging in a Hard Rock makes a lot more sense than in some dude's house - even if he's a guitar player.  One thing's for certain - he ain't Gilmour.

When I visited the R&RHoF three years ago, I stood a foot away from Jimi's Woodstock Stratocaster, and I was viscerally effected just from witnessing it with my own eyes, right in front of me. Were this hanging in some dude's house, or even on tour with some popular (but let's face it -  lesser guitar player), I would have never seen it. Even if I were at that gig where this fictional guitar player used the guitar (but I wouldn't be), I would never see it up close.

But I get it - guitars were meant to be played, and I don't disagree, but these guitars were played - a lot, and by those far more masterful than the ones who would dare attempt to forward the art. Kirk Hammett playing the '59 'burst with which Gary Moore seared millions of brains? GTFO. 

"Perhaps it was the charitable nature of the auction..." Gee, nothing gets by those guys at Reverb. Of course that's what drove up the price. Irsay gets an iconic guitar PLUS a hefty tax deduction (always a plus for a guy who owns a franchise in a tax-exempt sports league).

As for these items going to people who might actually play them, well, the people we would probably want to play them either can't afford them or have too much respect for them to keep them in use. So we're left with some dickhead plinking out "Last Chance with Mary Jane" on the black Strat in the corner of a B.Dubs underneath a flat-screen TV (but only after the Kings-Suns game on the West Coast is over) or some radio DJ in a clown suit trotting it out as a showpiece between sets at the local outdoor shed and regaling the audience with his best Potsie Weber chords.

Do they get a tax break if the auction is for charity? I'm not a tax expert, so I have no idea.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

I'm torn on this, and probably in the minority in my opinion as well, but...

Some guitars actually do belong in a museum, hanging on a wall, not to be played by anyone else, and I think The Black Strat (TBS) is one of those guitars.
Clapton's Blackie, Green's/Moore's 'burst, Nielsen's checkerboard Standard, and TBS, when retired or auctioned off should be on display for all to see and the condition of these instruments should be preserved as-is.

Yes, actually I'm rethinking my opinion on that. The black strat, and even lots of the other guitars, are a part of HISTORY. And the marketing campaign for this auction was UTTERLY BRILLIANT. It's one thing to buy Les Paul's Les Paul, but it's another to watch a video by the guitars owner, explaining the history, what it meant to him, what it was used on, etc. That REALLY helped sell this collection, IMHO. Many other of the auctions, such as Clapton's guitars, were for charitable causes as well, but I think the personal touch really helped. Could be wrong though.

The auction broke the record for the most expensive stratocaster sold, TWICE. Also the most expensive GIbson Les Paul, The most expensive Gretsch, and even the most expensive C.F. Martin guitars ever sold.

I was talking about this at work, and now the question is, are there any guitars left that could really top the prices realized in this auction? What guitars would be more desirable, iconic, etc than David Gilmour's, that haven't already been sold?

Maybe the legendary Beano Burst Les Paul? Or Jimmy Page's guitars?

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Do they get a tax break if the auction is for charity? I'm not a tax expert, so I have no idea.

Yes, actually I'm rethinking my opinion on that. The black strat, and even lots of the other guitars, are a part of HISTORY. And the marketing campaign for this auction was UTTERLY BRILLIANT. It's one thing to buy Les Paul's Les Paul, but it's another to watch a video by the guitars owner, explaining the history, what it meant to him, what it was used on, etc. That REALLY helped sell this collection, IMHO. Many other of the auctions, such as Clapton's guitars, were for charitable causes as well, but I think the personal touch really helped. Could be wrong though.

The auction broke the record for the most expensive stratocaster sold, TWICE. Also the most expensive GIbson Les Paul, The most expensive Gretsch, and even the most expensive C.F. Martin guitars ever sold.

I was talking about this at work, and now the question is, are there any guitars left that could really top the prices realized in this auction? What guitars would be more desirable, iconic, etc than David Gilmour's, that haven't already been sold?

Eddie Van Halen’s Frankenstein, perhaps.  Or Paul McCartney’s violin bass, to some. I can’t think of many that are in the same league as Gilmour’s black Strat.

1 minute ago, Cary said:

Eddie Van Halen’s Frankenstein, perhaps.  Or Paul McCartney’s violin bass, to some. I can’t think of many that are in the same league as Gilmour’s black Strat.

Agreed. 

Willie's acoustic (or what's left of it).
I think if Jimi's Woodstock Stratocaster were to come back up for sale/auction, it would be way up there as well.

I wonder who was bidding against Irsay to drive the price up?

spacer.png

8 hours ago, kizanski said:

I was viscerally effected

C’mon, you were viscerally affected when Ren and Stimpy got cancelled.

8 hours ago, kizanski said:

Some guitars actually do belong in a museum, hanging on a wall, not to be played by anyone else.

Exactly.

4 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

What guitars would be more desirable, iconic, etc than David Gilmour's?

Not many.

2 hours ago, Cary said:

Eddie Van Halen’s Frankenstein, perhaps.  Or Paul McCartney’s violin bass

Aside from these, the only ones I can think of might be Keef’s Micawber, SRV’s #1, Randy Rhoad’s Jackson V and Lester, Townshend’s #5 Les Paul, George Harrison’s all rosewood Tele, Prince’s Cloud guitar, maybe Springsteen’s Esquire?

26 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Exactly.

Not many.

Aside from these, the only ones I can think of might be Keef’s Micawber, SRV’s #1, Randy Rhoad’s Jackson V and Lester, Townshend’s #5 Les Paul, George Harrison’s all rosewood Tele, Prince’s Cloud guitar, maybe Springsteen’s Esquire?

Micawber also crossed my mind.

4 hours ago, kizanski said:

Agreed. 

Willie's acoustic (or what's left of it).
I think if Jimi's Woodstock Stratocaster were to come back up for sale/auction, it would be way up there as well.

Totally agree. The elite of the most iconic guitars are a small lot. 

14 hours ago, MCChris said:

"Perhaps it was the charitable nature of the auction..." Gee, nothing gets by those guys at Reverb. Of course that's what drove up the price. Irsay gets an iconic guitar PLUS a hefty tax deduction (always a plus for a guy who owns a franchise in a tax-exempt sports league).

As for these items going to people who might actually play them, well, the people we would probably want to play them either can't afford them or have too much respect for them to keep them in use. So we're left with some dickhead plinking out "Last Chance with Mary Jane" on the black Strat in the corner of a B.Dubs underneath a flat-screen TV (but only after the Kings-Suns game on the West Coast is over) or some radio DJ in a clown suit trotting it out as a showpiece between sets at the local outdoor shed and regaling the audience with his best Potsie Weber chords.

If you buy something at charity auction.   It can be claimed if you paid more than what is believed to be the actual value.   Open to interpretation I assume.       The Irsays probably know their way around tax breaks.     They have one of the best (team friendly) stadium deals in the nfl.   

On 6/21/2019 at 4:38 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Exactly.

Not many.

The exhibit at the Met in NYC has a lot these - Micawber, SRV, EVH, Prince, Springsteen, Blackie, and Page’s LP, double-neck, Tele and Supro.  Just amazing.

Archived