Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gilmour’s Black Strat went for almost $4 MILLION

Cary

My first thought was along the lines of "Well, its up to whomever shelled out the $$ for them to decide where/how they end up". And, of course that's ultimately true.

But, I do agree with you Kiz. and it really is no different IMO to artifact-level works of art. The only difference is that guitars you can actually play, of course. It would be a shame if these iconic instruments were never to be able to be seen by the fans/public ever. Makes me want to go to the Met in NYC, just to see the axes.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:38 PM, gtrdaddy said:

C’mon, you were viscerally affected when Ren and Stimpy got cancelled.

Exactly.

Not many.

Aside from these, the only ones I can think of might be Keef’s Micawber, SRV’s #1, Randy Rhoad’s Jackson V and Lester, Townshend’s #5 Les Paul, George Harrison’s all rosewood Tele, Prince’s Cloud guitar, maybe Springsteen’s Esquire?

One other that’s pretty iconic:  BB King’s Lucille.

On 6/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, kizanski said:

Agreed. 

Willie's acoustic (or what's left of it).
I think if Jimi's Woodstock Stratocaster were to come back up for sale/auction, it would be way up there as well.

I'll sell you Hendrix's guitar from the Monterey pop festival.    Mint condition:

14279974.jpg

On 6/28/2019 at 5:09 PM, gtrdaddy said:

The only thing about that, is that there are dozens that Gibson made for him that are all alike.

Did not know that.  So maybe he should call them Lucille 1, Lucille 2,...  Wait a minute, why does that sound familiar?

2 hours ago, Cary said:

Did not know that.  So maybe he should call them Lucille 1, Lucille 2,...  Wait a minute, why does that sound familiar?

From what I read, it was almost like he would wear on out, and they'd just give him another one. Some had fancy fine tuners on them, others didn't. But, he just said the word and another would show up. He also was supposedly the one who turned Billy Gibbons onto using lighter strings. According to Dan Erlewine, he liked a high action, and would wind ALL of the strings onto the peghead. He didn't cut them down at all.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:13 AM, kizanski said:

Kirk Hammett playing the '59 'burst with which Gary Moore seared millions of brains? GTFO. 

Graham Lilley said, "You can touch it, but you can't play it".  That was when I entered the Hard Rock Restaurant after hearing on WDIZ in Orlando that Gary Moore was playing a free show in preparation for his appearance on the David Letterman show and his upcoming tour.  He let me play "Scar".  Gary came out and played Greeny for the entire soundcheck. 

When I heard Hammett bought it, I decided I'd never watch him play it.  He's not worthy...he just has the money.

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

From what I read, it was almost like he would wear on out, and they'd just give him another one. 

There were a couple that hit the ground over the years too. I watched it almost happen at the Jackie Gleason Theatre years ago. Man, that thing slid off his lap and he caught it on his knee with his ELBOW! What a freaking noise it made! My wife screamed “Oh no! Lucille!” I told her to relax, there are three more back stage and ten at his house LOL.

Archived