Hamer Fan Club Message Center

A Gibson tradition being continued by new ownership

Suing the fuck outta other companies when their case is shaky at best. Dean has been making V and Explorer shaped guitars since the mid 70's. So have a lot of other makers. Some probably had an understanding/agreement with Gibson, I highly doubt all of them did.

Apparently this started in the Henry era, but I suspect Gibson will maybe get a hometown decision at best like they got with the PRS Singlecut, then lose badly on appeal. Or just lose outright.

https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/gibson-sues-dean-guitars-trademark-infringement/

spacer.png

Suing another company might just be a way to raise money Gibson has lost. 

The end of the article has this interesting line. 

Gibson has requested a jury trial to resolve the case.

If there are guitar players on the jury, especially in Texas, Gibson is going to lose.  ZZ Top and Pantera fans will know the difference. 

Doesn't owning a trademark require that they have taken action to defend it? Waiting after 40 years of Dean guitars to do this doesn't really seem to fit the bill.

Also, the headstock comparison is total BS. I would love to see how this plays out in court.

I guess Gibson, Inc. didn't learn from its suit against PRS. They are going to lose this one, too. That's a shame, because all the money they spend in legal fees would be much better invested in the continuing reorg or the company. 

I'm going to be watching this one with great interest.

Gibson is presenting the long game, but likely wanting to settle early.  

Asking for a jury trial creates the illusion Gibson wants to drag this out to the end of the earth, while a company like Dean may not have the financial wherewithal to defend such a suit,. 

Gibson is probably hoping the bluster will force Dean to cave early, agree to stop copying the designs and to pay a nominal cost ($100,000) to for past sins.   

12 hours ago, BTMN said:

Wait! These aren't Gibbers??? :blink:

1deanfamily3.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave Scepter said:

Dude those are badass!

Left to Right Late 90s Czech made Korina V, 1996 USA made Korina Z, 2004 Korean made ML, 1996 USA made bolt neck Z and 1996 USA V.

That's a tough row to hoe, convincing a jury that:

1. Even though most guitars are shaped like Marilyn Monroe and either have one scoop or two scoops (non-guitarist language, bear with me) Gibson's "one scoop" is uniquely theirs... also this "pointy rocket" shape (okay, now the jury is interested)...
  2. Gibson has been either so sack-of-gravel stopid that they never noticed Dean, et al making "one scoops" and "pointy rocket" guitars for forty years, OR it didn't damage their profitability all that time... and,
  3. After Dean's defense attorney shows about 50 flash cards of"one scoop" and "pointy rocket" guitars to a Gibson witness, with production dates, and asked said witness to list the legal actions taken, Gibson still is right. "("Wow. Everyone has been making pointy rockets and one scoops for decades. Doesn't seem so unique.")

As a marketing guy, I'd have quite publicly done the "Gibson is back, we're humble, we're making the guitars people love. We're gonna talk about copies. Imitation is the sincerest of flattery, and love ya'll at Dean, etc. But we do ask that you find your muse, like we found ours, and make the best damn Deans you can, but let us make the best damn Vs we can." (Accompanied by grainy footage of Les and Mary, Page, Clapton, etc.) Be the good guys on the side of the consumer, and put the competition on the defensive.

The more things change......

Gib.PRS.jpg

ETA.......The single cut guitars PRS has made since settlement of that lawsuit just keep getting better and better.

Archived