Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
Toadroller

Incoming!

Recommended Posts

7CD9E92A-CBCF-444D-B946-40F8037DCC54.jpeg

 

UPS sez Monday. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, god. I love koa... I’m so excited for Monday. And for you...

 

although, I’ve stayed at a KOA Kampground as a kid when going on family vacations. 6 of us in a jayco J-series pop up camper...  fuck that bullshit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^

Similar story.  Mom, Dad, and the five tadpoles when I was nine years old, for 3 weeks with a rented pop-up pulled behind the 72 Dodge Monaco wagon, from NH into Maine, then on the ferry from Bar Harbor into Nova Scotia, PEI, and overland back through New Brunswick.  Whew!

Most of us kids were sick with fevers for half the trip.  I nearly crashed out going down a hill on a skateboard well above escape velocity, until the road turned and I jumped off and did my impersonation of Roadrunner with my legs spinning in full circles.  I stayed up.  I remember a lot of paper plates, my older brother bitching about having to pop the camper up with a fever, the Anne of Green Gables house, a burger joint called Chee-burger Cheeburger (Pepsi no Coke) in Bar Harbor, which should help pinpoint the year... and my dad cashing American Express traveler's checks every couple of days.

A year or two later, our closest family friends bought a lake house in NH.  Our summer vacations (and winter ski trips) were, from that point onward, spent there.  Great to have a lake house; a little cheaper if you have good friends with a lake house.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sure is flaming 

7B3810FB-C407-4427-97F2-B502BC7761BD.jpeg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh...dang. The chrome rings work, for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I unpacked it, tuned it up, prepared to strum, and the collegiate Toadroller walked in saying that her check engine light was on.  

"Well of course it is.  It's an Audi.  Let's go see."

I handed it off to the musician and went to check on the car.  Pulled a code, it drives fine.  Off she went.

The musician says it's "better than alright!"  '96 Mirage 2 Koa.  Spertzels, pretty darned clean.  I'll find out more after work.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Toadroller said:

It sure is flaming 

7B3810FB-C407-4427-97F2-B502BC7761BD.jpeg

LOVE it!

what are the pickups in there?

Finally got myself a Mirage II a few months ago and it has quickly risen the ranks to take its place as one of my favorites. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, Travis said:

Oh, god. I love koa... I’m so excited for Monday. And for you...

 

although, I’ve stayed at a KOA Kampground as a kid when going on family vacations. 6 of us in a jayco J-series pop up camper...  fuck that bullshit. 

I camp in hotels...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Shark said:

I camp in hotels...

+1  - That's my idea of "roughing it," AKA: any night not spent in my own bed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

EF6C5B22-C7B4-4CB8-BCED-FFBE6252A640.jpeg

Well, my fingertips hurt today.  I've been really light on playing the last few months, busying myself with fixing cars and riding motorcycles while the sun is shining.

This Mirage is surprising me.  If the good ones get played, this is a good one.  Its frets are flattened all the way up and down the neck- so it's been played and played all over, not just in the cowboy chords area.  Action is a bit too low.  But sonically?  Wow, sharp initial attack and sustain to catch Nigel's attention.  A very single-coil like sound out of the neck.  So that must be what Koa brings to the mix.  Very responsive to the knobs- all sorts of sounds to be found in there.  Sit right down and play for a while.  You'll find it hard to put down.  I don't know what pickups are in it- I'll have a poke when I change out the strings, but they aren't going anywhere.  Yes, the silver pickup rings do somehow work.

The flame varies so much by viewing angle.  It can disappear or be almost too busy.  For a 23 year old with a lot of playing time, the headstock is in great shape, there's a dent or two on the top, some worming on the back, and all the hardware looks factory fresh- no pitting or dulling or rusty screw heads.  Well, the bridge is kinda dull, but nothing like the trem on my Daytona.  Really great shape.  The nut is perfect.  The neck feels narrower than I'm used to at the nut, but is a medium in depth and all is forgotten as you start playing it.

 

Edited by Toadroller
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice.  It's always a blast to be overwhelmed by a guitar you thought might underwhelm you, if that makes sense.  Beautiful guitar. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Toadroller said:

EF6C5B22-C7B4-4CB8-BCED-FFBE6252A640.jpeg

Well, my fingertips hurt today.  I've been really light on playing the last few months, busying myself with fixing cars and riding motorcycles while the sun is shining.

This Mirage is surprising me.  If the good ones get played, this is a good one.  Its frets are flattened all the way up and down the neck- so it's been played and played all over, not just in the cowboy chords area.  Action is a bit too low.  But sonically?  Wow, sharp initial attack and sustain to catch Nigel's attention.  A very single-coil like sound out of the neck.  So that must be what Koa brings to the mix.  Very responsive to the knobs- all sorts of sounds to be found in there.  Sit right down and play for a while.  You'll find it hard to put down.  I don't know what pickups are in it- I'll have a poke when I change out the strings, but they aren't going anywhere.  Yes, the silver pickup rings do somehow work.

The flame varies so much by viewing angle.  It can disappear or be almost too busy.  For a 23 year old with a lot of playing time, the headstock is in great shape, there's a dent or two on the top, some worming on the back, and all the hardware looks factory fresh- no pitting or dulling or rusty screw heads.  Well, the bridge is kinda dull, but nothing like the trem on my Daytona.  Really great shape.  The nut is perfect.  The neck feels narrower than I'm used to at the nut, but is a medium in depth and all is forgotten as you start playing it.

 

The 1995 Hamer's I've played all had the best neck carves of any other Hamer I've played. Don't know bout the 96'es, hope they are as good (probably :-) ).

That Mirage sure looks great!! Congratulations!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Disturber said:

The 1995 Hamer's I've played all had the best neck carves of any other Hamer I've played. Don't know bout the 96'es, hope they are as good (probably 🙂 ).

That Mirage sure looks great!! Congratulations!

The Hamers I’ve had from ‘94, ‘95, ‘96 and ‘97 all had very similar neck carves. What I would describe as medium, round and super comfortable  

(‘94 Mirage I, ‘95 Special FM, ‘96 Mirage Maple Top, ‘97 Mirage II and ‘97 Mahogany Standard)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...