Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's the going rate for a Tiger Blitz?

Hi!

What's the going rate / reasonable price for a 1984 Blitz in Red Tiger with the Hamer trem? Guitar is in average condition with some significant paint chipping, but comes with case.

Cheers

Es

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Not trying to be a joker here...  Lately anything with that type of finish has been priced higher than what we are used to seeing.  People are asking high prices fishing for buyers. 

Gilmour just got 4m for a non original  Strat. 

1 hour ago, The_Nuge said:

- what I don't like is the damage below the first couple of frets

Blitz2.jpeg

While it looks to be cosmetic, it’s a doozy. Would probably be very uncomfortable wrapping your thumb around that. It could be fixed if it’s just cosmetic, but that should bring the price down to $350.

I was just about to transfer quite a lot of money for the guitar when the owner sent me that picture... needless to say he'd described it as "near perfect"!

Unfortunately I can't inspect it in person, and I'm not entirely convinced the damage is just cosmetic!

Es

I've made him an offer for it - we'll see what he says!

If I get it, I'll want to fix that issue. How'd you go about getting the right colour and sort of paint?
Cheers

Es

The problem with matching the paint is that it can change over time.  The red and black were sprayed over a white base coat.  The red might have changed a little.  The clear lacquer coat on top can turn slightly amber, so if you match the red or black you still have to get the clear coat right to make the finish match.  Get the finish as close as possible, but count on being able to see where it was touched up. 

3 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

The problem with matching the paint is that it can change over time.  The red and black were sprayed over a white base coat.  The red might have changed a little.  The clear lacquer coat on top can turn slightly amber, so if you match the red or black you still have to get the clear coat right to make the finish match.  Get the finish as close as possible, but count on being able to see where it was touched up. 

I can tell you from experience that most-all guitar re-finishers will NOT put-in the work to color match this.  Other than preserve the serial number, most would just rather strip it down to wood and start-over with modern finishes.  It ain't a '59 LP. 

Archived