Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2004 Greco Zemaitis Metal Top - SOLD

Sold

I REALLY like these Japanese made Greco era Zemaitis guitars. The tone is different than other guitars, a little darker IMO. The sustain and controllable feedback is off the charts. I have 3 now, one must go.

This is a 2004 GZ-3500MF, which was the top of the production line at the time. Spec wise, this is comparable to the current Zemaitis Custom Shop Line.

Condition wise it is very good to excellent. There is some wear shown on some of the metal parts, specifically the pickup surrounds and tailpiece. There is a slight bit of worming on the back (none through the finish) and one small finish chip on the back corner near the output jack. The neck binding is a little discolored from age and there is some slight fretwear in the form of very small divots. They are unnoticeable when playing and there is plenty of life left in them. The fretboard is a nice dark ebony. 

I find the neck very comfortable C shape and size. The width is 1 11/16" at the nut and 2 1/16" at the 12th fret. The depth is 27/32" at the nut and 7/8" at the 12th fret. Weight is 8.4 pounds.

All of the electronics are high quality and original. The pickups are Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs and are a good match for the guitar.

The original hard shell case is included, but one of the latches is broken. The other latches do the job well and protect the guitar.

Asking $2150 shipped and paypal'd. Price now $1,950.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have the 22 fret version of this same model from 2005, they are extremely well made and are way, way better than the current series of (Greco but unbranded) Indonesien or Korean made guitars!! These Japanese made metal-front Zemaitis' are highly sought-after, this is well priced and someone should snap up this pretty rare guitar quickly!! GLWTS...

28 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

Just curious... is the engraving done by hand or stamped? Very cool guitar!!! 

I honestly don't know the answer to that. The engraving on this and other Greco metal topped guitars was designed by Danny O'Brien, but I really doubt if these were hand engraved. However, they don't look or feel like they were stamped, either. I've played a couple of the lower current models that are obviously stamped and they look and feel, well, stamped. The current custom shop metal tops are acid etched, so my guess is that is how this one has been engraved as well.

14 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Just curious... is the engraving done by hand or stamped? Very cool guitar!!! 

I read on an older version of the Greco/Zemaitis website that the original designs were/are, as always, by Danny O'Brien- a well known shotgun engraver (and friend and neighbour of Tony Zemaitis for those that didn't know) and that they are then Laser-etched onto the 'Duralumin' parts. The original hand made Tony Zemaitis guitars were all hand engraved by Danny and each one was a unique piece...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived